* Re: New Ada binding to OpenGL - test - trying to figure out why M$ Outlook keeps sending HTML...
       [not found] <mailman.1042078141.5422.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
@ 2003-01-09 16:43 ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2003-01-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are some instructions on how to send plain text e-mail when the
program sending the e-mail, is the Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail
cient program.

Some comments on Eudora and plain text, are below.

| ** Start Outlook Express
|
|  * Pull down the Tools menu and select "Options...".
|
|  * Click on the "Send" tab.
|
|  * Click on the "International Settings..." button. For "Default
|    Encoding" select "Western European (ISO)". Depending on your
|    language, this may not be the best setting for general use. But
|    it's the setting you want for using majordomo and sending messages
|    to the mailing lists.
|
|  * Make sure "When replying to message always use English headers" is
|    checked.
|
|  * Click "OK" to finish with the "International Send Settings" dialog.
|

| ** Back on the "Sending" page, under "Mail Sending Format", make sure
|    "Plain Text" is selected.
|
|  * Click on the "Plain Text Settings..." button.
|
|  * Under "Message format", make sure the "MIME" option is selected.
|
|  * Make sure "Encode text using" is set to "None".
|
|  * Click "OK" to finish with the "Plain Text Settings" dialog.
|
| ** While you're here, it would be a good idea to make sure that "Plain
|    Text" is also selected under "News Sending Format". That setting is
|    not used on the AMSAT mailing lists, but it is considered bad form
|    to send HTML messages on most news groups.
|
|  * Click on the "Compose" tab.
|
|  * Under "Stationery", make sure "Mail" is not checked.
|
|  * Under "Business Cards", make sure "Mail" is not checked.
|
|  * Click the "Security" tab.
|
|  * Make sure "Encrypt contents and attachments for all outgoing
|    messages" is not checked.
|
|  * Make sure "Digitally sign all outgoing messsages" is not checked.
|

|  * Click "OK" to finish with the Options dialog.
|
|  * If you will be using multiple Identities to send mail to the AMSAT
|    system, pull down the "Files" menu and select "Switch Identity..."
|    to select the next identity. Repeat all of the above steps for each
|    identity.

It is a bit worse for Eudora users.

Eudora 5 has a "plain text" radio button that behaves as expected for
outgoing messages, but it has no effect on saved messages.
Eudora's plain text is not genuine plain text since these substrings are
not removed:
   <x-flowed> .. </x-flowed>
(Thus the 2002 Eudora clients couldn't output the plain text format).

A Eudora 5.1.1.x I tested, saves a message using HTML format, even
though it sends messages using plain text format.

Though Eudora will strip HTML from the message sent, it leaves HTML in
the saved version of the outgoing message. An unsatisfactory solution
for that is to enable the "Styled Text Formatting Toolbar" and then
just before each final (and draft) is saved, the whole message is
hilighted (Ctrl-A) and then the HTML option "Clear Formatting" button
is pressed.

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:06:15 -0500, "Beard, Frank Randolph CIV" <frank.beard@navy.mil>
wrote:

>Trying to figure out why M$ Outlook keeps sending HTML
>when everything is set to "Plain Text".

Craig Carey

From: Craig Carey @ 2003-01-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

>Trying to figure out why M$ Outlook keeps sending HTML
>when everything is set to "Plain Text".

Craig Carey

* Re: New Ada binding to OpenGL - test - trying to figure out why M$ Outlook keeps sending HTML...
       [not found] <87C00083D21D6944A12CB3F8C22DBEEE11B805@NAEAWNYDEX08VA.nadsusea.nads.navy.mil>
@ 2003-01-09 16:45 ` sk
From: sk @ 2003-01-09 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The message (when viewing the source) comes in both plain-text
and html. My mail-reader, Mozilla, always displays the HTML. Is
there a way to tell the Mozilla mail client to ignore the HTML
and just use the plain text ?

Sorry for OT, but like the OP, very frustrated at mail/news
readers and their refusal to stick to plain text.

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
-- s n p @ t . o