* Porting the GNAT runtime to an embedded target
@ 2003-01-05 23:03 John Williams
From: John Williams @ 2003-01-05 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

This is my first post to c.l.a, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks
in consideration of picking up Ada for some embedded systems research
work I am doing.

Anyway this may sound a bit ambitious, but can anyone offer any comments
re: porting the Gnat runtimes to an embedded platform for which gcc and
a simple pre-emptive multitasking kernel (with semaphores and mailboxes
etc) is available?

I've looked at Javier Miranda's free book about the Gnat runtime system,
so have a broad idea of where I might start - I'm mostly interested in
any experience that folks have on such endeavours.

Cheers,

John

* Re: Porting the GNAT runtime to an embedded target
@ 2003-01-05 23:46 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-01-05 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at RTEMS (www.oarcorp.com).  If you can do you development on
Linux there are RPMS available for GNAT/RTEMS.  I haven't used these myself
since I work on W2k.

It may be possible to make GNAT/RTEMS work under cygwin.  So far I have not
been successful in my attempts.  Perhaps you'll have better luck.

I hope this helps,
Steve
(The Duck)

@ 2003-01-06  0:10 ` sk
From: sk @ 2003-01-06  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Javier Miranda has produced a "book" which discusses the
GNAT runtime

    http://gnat.webhop.info
    http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda

See the thread "ANNOUNCE: Free GNU Ada Run-Time Book
(version 1.0)" (on cla) dated "Sat Dec 14 13:44:50 2002"
for more details.

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
------------------------------------
-- s n p @ t . o

* Re: Porting the GNAT runtime to an embedded target
@ 2003-01-06  1:34 ` sk
From: sk @ 2003-01-06  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

Sorry, my quick scan of the OP didn't get as far as
the last paragraph.

@ 2003-01-06 22:24   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2003-01-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<9t3S9.456571$GR5.161606@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>...
> Take a look at RTEMS (www.oarcorp.com).  If you can do you development on
> Linux there are RPMS available for GNAT/RTEMS.  I haven't used these myself
> since I work on W2k.

The last batch of gcc 3.2.1 RPMs included GNAT/RTEMS for the i386, sparc,
powerpc, and mips targets.

> It may be possible to make GNAT/RTEMS work under cygwin.  So far I have not
> been successful in my attempts.  Perhaps you'll have better luck.

I haven't tried it but would think that if you could build the native
gnat from gcc 3.2.1, then you should be able to build GNAT/RTEMS.  You
need to use the same version native compiler as you are building
cross.

> I hope this helps,
> Steve
> (The Duck)
>
> "John Williams" <jwilliams@itee.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > This is my first post to c.l.a, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks
> > in consideration of picking up Ada for some embedded systems research
> > work I am doing.
> >
> > Anyway this may sound a bit ambitious, but can anyone offer any comments
> > re: porting the Gnat runtimes to an embedded platform for which gcc and
> > a simple pre-emptive multitasking kernel (with semaphores and mailboxes
> > etc) is available?
> >
> > I've looked at Javier Miranda's free book about the Gnat runtime system,
> > so have a broad idea of where I might start - I'm mostly interested in
> > any experience that folks have on such endeavours.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John

--joel sherrill