* Ann: P2Ada (v.22-Dec-2002)
@ 2002-12-22 16:59 Gautier direct_replies_not_read
From: Gautier direct_replies_not_read @ 2002-12-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello. Recently G. A. Craig Carey (mostly) and I reworked P2Ada, a
command-line Pascal to Ada translator.

P2Ada is now able to translate large sources. Depending on
the sources, the pre-work needed to have a successful translation and
the rework after translation have been significantly reduced.

Two recent "success stories":
  - porting of MAS (Modula-2 Algebra System, 73 kSlocs)
      by using Mod2P and P2Ada
  - porting of the Numerical Recipes in Pascal.

Bugs fixed: a lot!

Some of the new features:

- Support for Sqr, Odd, Eof, Eoln, Read, ReadLn, Ord, Chr (standard Pascal)
     and type Double
- For Borland integers, a transitional package is provided.
- Turbo Pascal 7's CONST parameters translated.
- Set expressions better translated (in form of array of Boolean).
- A procedure Dispose is created for each access type.
- For variables of a structured type, P2Ada creates an ad-hoc type for them.
- Option to translate a "var" parameter by "var" instead
     of "in out": it is wrong but caught by the Ada compiler for the rework.
- Name of procedures and functions put after "end".
- Smarter recognition of variables (array elements, record fields,...)
- Bigger buffers for translating large sources.
- Added casing of Ada keywords (upper/lower/neutral).

Enjoy!
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

NB: Pour une r�ponse directe, adresse e-mail sur le site ouaibe!

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf

* Re: P2Ada (v.22-Dec-2002)
@ 2002-12-29 11:24 ` D De Villiers
From: D De Villiers @ 2002-12-29 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about a tool that goes the other why around ? Ada to Pascal ?

Kind Regards,

Lennie De Villiers

EMail: ddevilliers@lando.co.za
Web: www.lando.co.za/Lennie
CV/Resume: www.lando.co.za/Lennie/CV.htm

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow. "

- Programming Humor

@ 2002-12-30 17:41   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-30 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <auq050$h7c$2@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>, "D De Villiers" <~ddevilliers999@lando.co.za> writes:
> What about a tool that goes the other why around ? Ada to Pascal ?

Probably the place to ask would be a Pascal newsgroup.

* Re: P2Ada (v.22-Dec-2002)
@ 2002-12-31 16:14   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2002-12-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

D De Villiers:

> What about a tool that goes the other why around ? Ada to Pascal ?

Do you need one ? It depends on whether you wish (1) a human-readable
output form to rework or (2) a mean to compile Ada sources on a certain
environment where there is only an interesting Pascal compiler and
no Ada compiler.
A tool for (1) is quite a challenge to find, a bit like a kit to
transform your recent car into a brand old VW Beetle...
For (2) it may be better to use C than Pascal as intermediate language.
For (1) and (2) you have to precise the dialect of Pascal, of course.

@ 2002-12-31 18:48   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-12-31 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Hello. Recently G. A. Craig Carey (mostly) and I reworked P2Ada, a
>>command-line Pascal to Ada translator.
>>
>>P2Ada is now able to translate large sources. Depending on
>>the sources, the pre-work needed to have a successful translation and
>>the rework after translation have been significantly reduced.
>>
>>Bugs fixed: a lot!
>>
>>Some of the new features:
>>
>>- Support for Sqr, Odd, Eof, Eoln, Read, ReadLn, Ord, Chr (standard
>>
> Pascal)
>
>>     and type Double
>>- For Borland integers, a transitional package is provided.
>>- Turbo Pascal 7's CONST parameters translated.
>>- Set expressions better translated (in form of array of Boolean).
>>- A procedure Dispose is created for each access type.
>>- For variables of a structured type, P2Ada creates an ad-hoc type for
>>
> them.
>
>>- Option to translate a "var" parameter by "var" instead
>>     of "in out": it is wrong but caught by the Ada compiler for the
>>
> rework.
>
>>- Name of procedures and functions put after "end".
>>- Smarter recognition of variables (array elements, record fields,...)
>>- Bigger buffers for translating large sources.
>>- Added casing of Ada keywords (upper/lower/neutral).
>>
>>Enjoy!

How well can P2Ada handle BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) in Turbo Pascal?
I have a very old program written in Turbo Pascal with BCD and I am
interested to have it translated to Ada. About 17KSLOC.
--
type Dmitry is new Adrian;           -- Adrian Hoe
                                      -- http://adrianhoe.com