* Re: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-17 18:45 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-17 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BA2525C4.14A8%yaldnifw@blueyonder.co.uk>, Bill Findlay <yaldnifw@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> It might usefully be generic, on parameters such as the max. length of a
> nodename, the max. length of the full pathname, the nodename separator,
> whether there is a distinguished root nodename and its separator, etc.

That does not sound very generic.

Larry Kilgallen
VMS user

* A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-17 19:04 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2002-12-17 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any work on / interest in a package to make it easy to synthesize
and analyze compound (path) names?

This crops up a lot, not only as Windows or Unix filenames,
but with things like Tcl widget names.

It might usefully be generic, on parameters such as the max. length of a
nodename, the max. length of the full pathname, the nodename separator,
whether there is a distinguished root nodename and its separator, etc.

Should it handle little-endian pathnames, with the root at the right,
like Internet domain names?

--
Bill-Findlay chez blue-yonder.co.uk ("-" => "")

* RE: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-18  6:06 ` Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2002-12-18  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. But it should NOT be part of the Ada standard. It should be a
collection of application interfaces. Since most computers have browsers,
Internet paths may be close to a universal solution.
Bob Leif

@ 2002-12-18  6:23 Grein, Christoph
From: Grein, Christoph @ 2002-12-18  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any work on / interest in a package to make it easy to synthesize
> and analyze compound (path) names?
>
> This crops up a lot, not only as Windows or Unix filenames,
> but with things like Tcl widget names.
>
> It might usefully be generic, on parameters such as the max. length of a
> nodename, the max. length of the full pathname, the nodename separator,
> whether there is a distinguished root nodename and its separator, etc.
>
> Should it handle little-endian pathnames, with the root at the right,
> like Internet domain names?

You could use a package like mine you can find on my homepage

http://home.T-Online.de/home/Christ-Usch.Grein/Ada

Look for Split'n'Join. Warning! The implementation is not optimized for
efficiency. I proposed it to Ada-Comment, but it hasn't found support. It was in
fact inspired by TCL/TK and Perl.

* RE: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-18 11:14   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1040191621.25117.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com> writes:
> Yes. But it should NOT be part of the Ada standard. It should be a
> collection of application interfaces. Since most computers have =
> browsers,
> Internet paths may be close to a universal solution.

Huh ?

Browsers allow one to access items on the Internet, specifically that
subset of items that web servers choose to export.  There is not any
relationship necessary between items exported by web servers and any
file system.

* Re: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-18 14:50 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-12-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill Findlay" <yaldnifw@blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit dans le message news: BA2525C4.14A8%yaldnifw@blueyonder.co.uk...
> Is there any work on / interest in a package to make it easy to synthesize
> and analyze compound (path) names?

This is within the scope of Ada OS_Bind. You are welcome to join (see http://www.adalog.fr/os_bind/)

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* RE: A standardized pathnames package for Ada 2005?
@ 2002-12-18 16:28     ` Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2002-12-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Open up Internet explorer and give it the following URL: file://C:\
You should see the directory of your C drive. I admit that file:// is ugly.
However, it should be ubiquitous.
Bob Leif

@ 2002-12-18 20:57       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1040228942.12567.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com> writes:
> Open up Internet explorer and give it the following URL: file://C:\
> You should see the directory of your C drive. I admit that file:// is =
> ugly.

What is a C drive ?

> However, it should be ubiquitous.

Have you redefined "ubiquitous" to exclude my Macintosh and my VMS system ?