From: Michal Nowak <vinnie@inetia.pl>
Subject: Re: Placement of pragma Import
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:56:50 +0100
Date: 2002-12-09T22:56:50+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2002-12-09 at 09:34 Wes Groleau wrote:

>> Yes, I agree, that it looks better to put it in private section.
>
>Please, no.  The private section is for things you
>don't want client code to access directly (but
>that can't go in the body).
>
>No client code can access the pragma, so the
>only reason to not put it right next to what
>it affects is to avoid clutter.  BUT, putting
>things like this and rep-clauses at a distance
>from what they affect invites forgetting to
>update them during maintenance.  Or worse,
>being forced to rearrange them due to maintenance
>introducing a "freezing" construct.
>
>I had to re-organize a hundred files for an Ada 95
>port because folks back in the 1980s thought that
>putting rep-specs in the private section was
>"information hiding."

I was thinking about this little snippet of code I posted
when replying, my fault that I was not precise enough.
Yes, you're right that it depends from the construction of
spec where this pragma should be placed. I had also a problem
when some days ago I was doing sort of code review. The requirement
was saying, that specified subprogram should be imported with
intrinsic. The function was, but I saw no pragma. Finally I found
it - two screens below in private section mixed between two
records...

   - Michal

"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"