* Question about pointer
@ 2002-10-06 23:41 Dominic D'Apice
From: Dominic D'Apice @ 2002-10-06 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm just discover the pointer concept, i understand how it works.

But, right now, i don't know what is the advantage of utilisation of
pointer in a program

Can someone tell me what king of program we do with pointer ?

Thanks in advance

* Re; Question about pointer
@ 2002-10-07  0:41 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-10-07  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But, right now, i don't know what is the advantage of utilisation of
> pointer in a program

  There are more than a few ways pointers are useful.  Just two are:
Dynamically allocating memory for objects of varying size and lifetime.
Linking related objects so that a procedure given one can access the other.

You really need a good book on programming (and probably more than one)
to see some of the uses, and problems, of pointers.

* Re: Question about pointer
@ 2002-10-08 14:41 ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-10-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dominic D'Apice wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm just discover the pointer concept, i understand how it works.
>
> But, right now, i don't know what is the advantage of utilisation of
> pointer in a program
>
> Can someone tell me what king of program we do with pointer ?

Have a look here:
   http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/c/ptrtut/pointers.htm

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk