From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: Question on arrays
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 04:14:26 -0500
Date: 2002-09-17T04:14:26-05:00	[thread overview]

After having read all of the replies to your original post,
it appears that no one has addressed the original problem --
i.e. why a compiler should die with a segmentation fault,
regardless of what kind of illegal code is submitted to it.

It could be that what is actually happening is a stack
overflow in the shell environment in which the compiler
executes.

You did not say which shell you're using on AIX -- e.g.,
Bourne, Korn, tcsh, etc.  I have seen many cases of
perfectly good programs (including compilers) die with
a segmentation fault because the stack size limit was
too small.