From: "Grein, Christoph" <christoph.grein@eurocopter.com>
Subject: Re: Announce: The Ultimate SI Units Cracker
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:59:37 +0200 (MET DST)
Date: 2002-09-12T13:59:37+02:00	[thread overview]

> Also note that the page seems to make the somewhat incorrect assumption
> that hard real-time implies "fast".
>
> Hard real-time just means you can never miss a deadline (where soft
> real-time
> means that you can sometimes miss some deadlines but not often).
>
> While these terms vary from author to author, it has been my experience that
> these are pretty close to the generally accepted definitions.

As I have always heard the term being used, hard RT meant short cycle times (50Hz),
soft RT meant long times (weather forecast _is_ time-critical, but the limit is
one day or so).

I'm in the avionics business and we always call our system hard-real time.
OK, it must not miss a deadline, and it must be fast. So it fulfills both
definitions.