* Exporting or Reading AdA SAGE files?
@ 2002-06-27 16:53 pinkmail
From: pinkmail @ 2002-06-27 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wanted to find out if there were tools or utilities that could be used
to generate an extract or dump of ADA Sage database files.  I have an
application that I've inherited, where the source code has been lost in
the mists of time.  I need more direct access to the core system data, but
it is all stored currently in ADA sage database files.  On my current
systems, I don't have any of the sage libraries or an ada compiler, so my
preferred route would be to run a process to extract the data from these
data files.

Does such a tool exist, and if so, would you have any information on this
utility?

Presumably my other option would be to write an ada application and link
in the sage libraries to perform this extraction. If this option is my only
solution, would you have a recomendation for a win32 ada compiler that I
would be able to use with the ada sage distribution?

thanks!

* Re: Exporting or Reading AdA SAGE files?
@ 2002-06-27 19:12 ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2002-06-27 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

pinkmail wrote:

> I wanted to find out if there were tools or utilities that could be used
> to generate an extract or dump of ADA Sage database files.  I have an
> application that I've inherited, where the source code has been lost in
> the mists of time.  I need more direct access to the core system data, but
> it is all stored currently in ADA sage database files.  On my current
> systems, I don't have any of the sage libraries or an ada compiler, so my
> preferred route would be to run a process to extract the data from these
> data files.
>
> Does such a tool exist, and if so, would you have any information on this
> utility?
>
> Presumably my other option would be to write an ada application and link
> in the sage libraries to perform this extraction. If this option is my only
> solution, would you have a recomendation for a win32 ada compiler that I
> would be able to use with the ada sage distribution?
>
> thanks!

The Walnut Creek Ada CD's used to have all the source for AdaSage.  You
might try to find one of those to see if you can reverse engineer the
data structures.  AdaSage was a port of a system originally written in
Modula-2 and the Modula-2 code was available, once.  If you could find
that, it might help you, too.  There was also a users' group that might
be able to help you.  Can you get any help through that Northwest
National Laboratories site?

Al

* Re: Exporting or Reading AdA SAGE files?
@ 2002-06-28  2:14 ` Warren O. Merrill
From: Warren O. Merrill @ 2002-06-28  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaSAGE (now SageST) is my baby now so I can probably help you.

The data is packed and encoded so short of knowing the logic that
created the files there is no way to just write something to go in and
get it.

You may run into a couple of problems depending on how old the version
is on the data that you have since all the tools to get the data out
would be the current version.

The first question I have for you is that you are going to need the
.SRC file to find out what the layout of the data is.  You said the
source was lost I'm assuming that means the .SRC also?  If that is the
case if you send me a copy of the .DFL that you have I could recover
it for you. (if you want to zip up the data files along with the .DFL
I can give you an even better answer as to what it will take to get it
out).

We do have some tools that could read and dump your data to ASCII
files.  Also there is an ODBC driver but its a little rough around the
edges and has some problems if you have fields with names containing
underscores.

By the way I don't just give the keys to the data to anybody so I will
need some explanation of what the application and its data are and why
you need into it (sorry but this trick has been tried before so I just
need to know.  Once I get your .DFL and see whats in it that will help
me confirm what you tell me).

Email me (wom@inel.gov) and I will see how I can help you.  It was
just pure dumb luck that I happened to read this group today and see
your message as I don't often take time to come here.  So responses
here may go unanswered unless I think to check back later.

P.S. if you decide to use the latest libraries and get the data out
yourself you would be looking for the StonyBrook Ada compiler.

@ 2002-06-28  3:29   ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2002-06-28  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Warren O. Merrill" wrote:

> P.S. if you decide to use the latest libraries and get the data out
> yourself you would be looking for the StonyBrook Ada compiler.

Was/is the StonyBrook Ada compiler ever a real product available
outside of INEL and the AdaSage users' group?  What's its current
status?

Al

* Re: Exporting or Reading AdA SAGE files?
@ 2002-06-28 12:49   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-06-28 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)