From: sk <noname@myob.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT internals question
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:15:21 -0500
Date: 2002-06-26T16:15:21-05:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
> ... not a single instance of ada_main___elabs.

Sorry, I mis-remembered, it is "ada_main___elabb"
I am refering to.

So far my experience is also that it is not called
but that doesn't mean that it never is used.

It is difficult for me to describe what I am asking,
but ...

procedure Nothing is
begin
    null;
end Nothing;

The pragmas are to remove all external references
and dependencies on the GNAT runtime.

Linux shell commands :

    gnatmake -c -v nothing
    gnatbind -v nothing
    gcc -v -c -S b~nothing.adb

producing "b~nothing.s" which contains the elusive
"ada_main___elabb" (AMEB an acceptable acronym ?).

The GNAT Ada main function has a structure of

    adainit
    call nothing
    adafinal

I believe that when circumstances require, AMEB will
both contain useful code and be called as part of the
final binary.

Isolating where it is called from is my goal. Prior to
"adainit", from "adainit" or between "adainit" and the
nothing call etc.

AMEB might be a permanent and "legacy" stub, but I doubt
it. I suspect that some features of Ada and GNAT will
populate this function with useful code and call it when
necessary.

Trying to discover the circumstances.

Thanks :-)

--