From: Michal Nowak <vinnie@inetia.pl>
Subject: RE: [OT] Switching to Linux (was: Microsoft takes on ACT)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:32:42 +0200
Date: 2002-05-30T10:32:42+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2002-05-28 at 07:13 Robert C. Leif wrote:

>From: Bob Leif
>To: Michal Nowak et al.
>
>An XML based GUI that was powered by Ada including the use of protected
>types and tasking could be much easier to use than Windows. This XML GUI
>would also be much more reliable and efficient than Windows.

Do you have any research, papers, whatever, why XML would be more
reliable? I hope you haven't wote it beceause XML is now hot subject,
so there must be some reasons. What are they?

>Incidentally for normal mortals, I highly recommend EasyDesktop
>www.microseconds.com
>It employs a revolutionary GUI based on words. No icons. This makes it
>very easy to use for those of us who were educated with a Western
>alphabet.
>
>As for the device drivers, writing them in Ada should facilitate their
>reuse in multiple similar products, such as graphics boards.

Agree. It should be also easier to get to know what's going on in the
code, thanks to Ada's readibility. Sometimes when I dig in Linux sources,
it is not so straightforward to discover what was programmer's intent...

Mike

"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"