From: "Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com>
Subject: RE: ARG asks Ada Community for API Proposals.
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:09:48 -0700
Date: 2002-05-25T13:09:48-07:00	[thread overview]

From: Bob Leif
To: Dale Stanbrough et al.
The libraries should be kept separate from the standard. The period
between revisions to the Ada standard is way too long for bindings to
other software, such as XML. Many libraries should be first created by
some sort of consensus system and tried out as provisional standards.
Then, they can be promoted to being an annex or a part thereof. Many of
the annexes should be decoupled from synchrony with the standard.
Besides permitting the necessary adaptability at the periphery of the
Ada standard, it will permit a continuous rather than a batch approach
to the maintenance of the language. In short, we should follow the old
software principle of divide and conquer.

As for the API, it should be based on XML. If we can not have one
programming language, we should limit the number to two. Ada and XML are
similar and complement each other.