* Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-20 22:13 Sune Falck
From: Sune Falck @ 2002-05-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

The mingw project www.mingw.org has made available prebuilt
gcc 3.1 core, gcc 3.1 Ada, binutils and other support files at

Sune Falck

PS A simple test showed that gcc Ada had problems finding the
system files - maybe because I had installed in a nonstandard
location.

Defining ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH pointing
to the library files solked the problem and a simple hello world
program compiled and run without any problems.

C:\data\msys>set
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=c:\data\msys\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.1\adainclude
C:\data\msys>set
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=c:\data\msys\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.1\adalib
C:\data\msys>PATH c:\data\msys\bin;%path%
C:\data\msys>gnatmake -v -f atest

GNATMAKE 3.1 (20020501) Copyright 1995-2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
gcc -c atest.adb
End of compilation
gnatbind -x atest.ali
gnatlink atest.ali

C:\data\msys>atest
Hello from Ada

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 13:57 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-05-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sune Falck" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<TxeG8.8178$p56.2336358@newsb.telia.net>...
> Defining ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH pointing
> to the library files solked the problem and a simple hello world
> program compiled and run without any problems.

FWIW: My old 3.13p installation on this machine (I haven't used it in
a while) has the following registry keys:

1)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT

with a value named "ROOT" of type REG_SZ set to "C:\GNAT"

2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT\Standard
Libraries\

with a value named "WIN32" of type REG_SZ set to
"C:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada"

You might try setting these keys to see if the need for those
environment variables goes away.

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 14:09 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-05-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sune Falck" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<TxeG8.8178$p56.2336358@newsb.telia.net>...
> The mingw project www.mingw.org has made available prebuilt
> gcc 3.1 core, gcc 3.1 Ada, binutils and other support files at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435

Before anyone gets too excited, note this line from the description:
---
This is a beta. If you want a stable release, use gcc-2.95-3.
---

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 14:12   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-05-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net> writes:

> Stupid question.
>
> The files are all packed up in .tar.gz GZIP archives.
>
> What is an appropriate Windows utility for opening them?  Where can I get
> it?

WinZip, www.winzip.com, $29 lifetime license (free upgrades).

Cygwin, http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
    provides command line tar and gzip

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 14:31   ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-05-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-05-21 at 08:05 John R. Strohm wrote:

>Stupid question.
>
>The files are all packed up in .tar.gz GZIP archives.
>
>What is an appropriate Windows utility for opening them?  Where can I get
>it?

A bit search on google gave me http://www.gzip.org/. There I noticed:
"To extract .tar and .tar.gz files on Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP use
PowerArchiver 6.1 (freeware) or Winzip (commercial)."

Link to PowerArchiver given there is http://www.sfsu.edu/ftp/win/utils/

Hope that helps a bit,
Mike

"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 14:35     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-05-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> a �crit dans le message news: uptzplhe6.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov...
> > What is an appropriate Windows utility for opening them?  Where can I get
> > it?
>
> WinZip, www.winzip.com, $29 lifetime license (free upgrades).
>
> Cygwin, http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
>     provides command line tar and gzip

Or PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com), a free WinZip clone

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-21 15:05 ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2002-05-21 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stupid question.

The files are all packed up in .tar.gz GZIP archives.

What is an appropriate Windows utility for opening them?  Where can I get
it?

If I actually succeed in getting things working, I'll write up the procedure
and the list of necessary files.

@ 2002-05-21 17:35       ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-05-21 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message

> > Cygwin, http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
> >     provides command line tar and gzip
> >
> Or PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com), a free WinZip clone

Or Ultimatezip www.ultimatezip.com, another free winzip like utility

Chris

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-22  2:29       ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-05-22  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message

[snip]
> Or PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com), a free WinZip clone

According to the web site powerarchiver is shareware not free.  Which makes
a difference if you plan commercial use.

SteveD

@ 2002-05-22  7:23         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-05-22  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Doiel" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> writes:

> "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> >
> [snip]
> > Or PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com), a free WinZip clone
> >
> According to the web site powerarchiver is shareware not free.  Which makes
> a difference if you plan commercial use.

V 6.10 is free. It turn out that I was looking for a free WinZip like tool
with command line support... I found the answer in comp.lang.ada :)

Thanks,
Pascal.

--|

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-22 12:11           ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-05-22 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> "Steve Doiel" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> writes:
>
> > "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> > >
> > [snip]
> > > Or PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com), a free WinZip clone
> > >
> > According to the web site powerarchiver is shareware not free.  Which makes
> > a difference if you plan commercial use.
>
> V 6.10 is free. It turn out that I was looking for a free WinZip like tool
> with command line support... I found the answer in comp.lang.ada :)

There doesn't seem to be an English version of 6.1 (only Lithuanian,
Italian, Dutch and French). Anyone know where there's an English
version?

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-22 14:17             ` martin.m.dowie
From: martin.m.dowie @ 2002-05-22 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John English" <je@brighton.ac.uk> wrote in message
[snip]
> There doesn't seem to be an English version of 6.1 (only Lithuanian,
> Italian, Dutch and French). Anyone know where there's an English
> version?

you could try http://www.oldversion.com/files/powarc61.exe - it doesn't
explicitly state is it the english version, but the rest of the site is in
english! :-)

* Re: Prebuilt version of gcc 3.1 with Ada as an additional package for windows
@ 2002-05-23  5:35       ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2002-05-23  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Progress report.

I pulled down various tarballs (actually, .tar.gz balls), and I pulled down
PowerArchiver.  I've installed MinGW, and I've done the basic C "Hello,
World" exercise.

@ 2002-05-23 10:42         ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2002-05-23 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Comment.  I'm running Windows 98 SE (or some such).  Our old DOS friend
autoexec.bat works for setting environment variables and PATH.  I initially
used the old MS-DOS editor to edit autoexec.bat, then I switched to Edwin
(an Emacs clone from the MIT Scheme distribution).

This is actually looking like it is going to work.

As I type this, I'm pulling down the gcc 3.1 source tarball, just for
general culture.

As an aside, a friend of mine was looking for a C/C++ toolset.  He's also
done Ada, back in the days when we were both working at TI Defense.  I plan
to send him a copy of the results of all this fun.

@ 2002-05-23 19:04           ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2002-05-23 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)