* ARM in Russian
@ 2002-05-15  6:46 Ada_RM
From: Ada_RM @ 2002-05-15  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All.

At last there is a translation of ARM83 to Russian in HTML, XML, DocBook
format.
You can get it at http://ada-rm.euro.ru/

I propose to start translation AARM95 into Russian.
Any help is welcome.
People who can help email to <ada_rm@euro.ru> please.
I think we can do it for a couple of months.

Thanks

* Re: ARM in Russian
@ 2002-05-15  7:47 Grein, Christoph
From: Grein, Christoph @ 2002-05-15  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Ada_RM <ada_rm@euro.ru>

> At last there is a translation of ARM83 to Russian in HTML, XML, DocBook
> format.
> You can get it at http://ada-rm.euro.ru/
>
> I propose to start translation AARM95 into Russian.
> Any help is welcome.
> People who can help email to <ada_rm@euro.ru> please.
> I think we can do it for a couple of months.

I'm not sure that this is something very useful compared to the time it takes.
There is a German translation of the Ada 83 RM, which was sponsored by Siemens.
I did not take part in this translation, but then had tight contact to some
persons involved. So I definitely know that this was an extremely difficult and
expensive undertaking (the quality is very high). And in any case, when there
are conflicting interpretations, the Engish original has to be the master.

So Ada Germany decided not to translate the new RM, but tried to set up a
dictionary of relevant Ada terms. Even this proved to be very difficult and was
not finished.

[There also is a French translation of Ada 83, and also this was not continued
for Ada 95, as fas as I know.]

So I think, having a dictionary defined of Ada terms English/Russion in both
directions and a good Russian textbook, you will be far better off and in
shorter time, especially as the RM is not very often used by normal programmers
because of its vernacular (it even was not designed to be readable for "normal"
persons, its goal is to _define_ the language in _legal terms_, so the structure
of the Ada 95 RM is quite different from the one of Ada 83).

I do not know the quality of your Russian Ada 83 translation, but I'd wager that
you won't finish a translation of Ada 95 within 5 years, if it's going to be of
some quality and not just a raw translation. And by then, it will be obsolete,
because then we'll have Ada 0y.

[You say "At last there is a translation of ARM83 ...". Does this mean it has
been finished just now?]

* Re: ARM in Russian
@ 2002-05-15 11:32 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2002-05-15 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 May 2002 09:46:47 +0300, Ada_RM <ada_rm@euro.ru> wrote:

>At last there is a translation of ARM83 to Russian in HTML, XML, DocBook
>format.
>You can get it at http://ada-rm.euro.ru/

There was a russian translation of a Gehani's book on Ada 83, titled
"Programming with Ada" or so, I do not remember. It contained
translated ARM 83 as an annex.

Though there could be copyright problems with putting it into Web.

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: ARM in Russian
@ 2002-05-16 14:13 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-05-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grein, Christoph <christoph.grein@eurocopter.com> wrote:
:
: So Ada Germany decided not to translate the new RM, but tried to set up a
: dictionary of relevant Ada terms. Even this proved to be very difficult and
: was
: not finished.

Indeed, many many "translations" effectively result in
severe speaking (and thus communication) disabilities, when
adopted by readers and listeners. You end up reading about
"human executors" (menschliche Ausfuehrer, which is entirely
horrible for several reasons, if you look closely, and doesn't
even exist as a word) where the intention is to say that you,
a human, should kind of try to carry out the operations as the
computer does.  People start talking in a mix of pseudo-English
and pseudo-German.  Don't get me wrong, I like importing ideas
from other languages.  But usually it seems that people associate
concepts with either German or English words they have heard or
read in a presentation. Largely depending on the presentation
language. Then they lazily don't care to think about how this
could be expressed in their native language, if so.  Thereby
depriving themselves of the possibility to connect the new
information to synapses that are already present, so to speak.

One example problem, if it is a problem, is translating
"actually" with the equivalent of "currently", mostly in "actual
parameters" discussions.  Since many here know English well,
is "current parameter" an appropriate translation of "actual
parameter" in the context of the formal/actual distinction?

In French, I will have to find out (porpose unrelated)
whether "actuellement" has or has had both meanings (which
it doesn't according to some wide spread dictionaries, but
does according to others), or whether ...

tradittore/traduttore (hope this is spelled properly ...)

One good source of information is "ancient" computing literature.
Not only in translations from English to *, but even in English,
people seem to have paid much more attention to a good choice
of words. The corresponding attitude to writing seems to
be highly correlated to a literacy that isn't restricted to
compu-talk, if what one can read between the lines allows this
interpretation.

with apologies for my English, which is one reason that makes
writing this post burdensome,
 Georg