* Help with ADA CGI
@ 2002-04-07 22:16 george
From: george @ 2002-04-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there. I would appreciate it if anyone could email me ASAP and give me some
advice on how to get my ADA CGI program working.
I have the following problem
1)when I submit my ada generated form I cannot get the results to appear on a
new page
2)if there is an error in the form, I cannot get the program to wait for the
user to input the missing data, instead it just continues with the output- of
course it results in 'Your name is      ' etc etc and not what I want.
If the form is submitted blank, it should put another form out and ask the user
to input the data again, but I can't get it to do this.

If you wish to see my source code, please email me georgeATdodgybloke.co.uk -
I'm sure you'll work out you have to replace the AT with @, but it's to stop
spamming bots.

thanks
George

* Re: Help with ADA CGI
@ 2002-04-08 13:56 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2002-04-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

George wrote:

> 1)when I submit my ada generated form I cannot get the results to appear on a
> new page

What do you mean by a _new_ page?

> 2)if there is an error in the form, I cannot get the program to wait for the
> user to input the missing data, instead it just continues with the output- of
> course it results in 'Your name is      ' etc etc and not what I want.
> If the form is submitted blank, it should put another form out and ask the user
> to input the data again, but I can't get it to do this.

Since HTTP is basically a stateless protocol, a CGI program
can not wait for the user.

Jacob
--
"Navier-Stokes-ligningen er som Biblen,
 det er randbetingelserne der bestemmer det hele."

* RE: Help with ADA CGI
@ 2002-04-08 14:40 ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-08 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<
Hi there. I would appreciate it if anyone could email me ASAP and give
me some
advice on how to get my ADA CGI program working.
I have the following problem
1)when I submit my ada generated form I cannot get the results to appear
on a
new page
>> (George)

Sounds like a logical flaw on your program. Define 'new page' in this
context. Post the code.

<<
2)if there is an error in the form, I cannot get the program to wait for
the
user to input the missing data, instead it just continues with the
output- of
course it results in 'Your name is      ' etc etc and not what I want.
If the form is submitted blank, it should put another form out and ask
the user
to input the data again, but I can't get it to do this.

Ditto. Sounds like you are not checking for null input. Again, post the
code.

Really sounds like like flaws in CGI, not Ada, programming. But post the
code anyway. And is it homework?

Cheers,
--MAA

* Re: Help with ADA CGI
@ 2002-04-08 16:59 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-04-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

user@worldonline.co.uk (george) writes:

> Hi there. I would appreciate it if anyone could email me ASAP and give me
> some  advice on how to get my ADA CGI program working.

What CGI interface are you using ? GNAT.CGI ?

> I have the following problem
> 1)when I submit my ada generated form I cannot get the results to appear on a
> new page
> 2)if there is an error in the form, I cannot get the program to wait for the
> user to input the missing data, instead it just continues with the output- of
> course it results in 'Your name is      ' etc etc and not what I want.
> If the form is submitted blank, it should put another form out and ask the user
> to input the data again, but I can't get it to do this.

<Plug mode on>

To build Web Based servers why not use AWS instead of the old CGI way ?

<Plug mode off>

Pascal.

--|