From: Ingo Marks <adv@region-nord.de>
Subject: Re: Ada -> Java by Java disassemlers?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:18:11 +0100
Date: 2002-03-08T21:18:11+01:00	[thread overview]

Dr. Michael Paus <paus@jb-paus.com> wrote:

> Just for curiosity. For what kind of project do you need an Ada to Java
> compiler?

I would like to code with Ada in the next generation platforms (Java/J2EE
and/or .NET). I don't like the supported languages (Java, C#) pretty much.

Unfortunately, JGNAT ist no longer supported. So we don't have any up-to-date
Ada -> Java-Bytecode-Compilers in the future. But if we had an Ada -> Java
source compiler, which takes in Ada program and compiles it into an
equivalent Java program (source code as "very high level assembler code" ;-)
then we would be independent of JDK versions. We just would compile the
created intermediate Java source code with the most up-to-date Java compiler
and we had it. The same way it would be possible to get Ada run on .NET. Java
and C# have many features common to Ada, so it should not be too difficult to
write an Ada -> Java or Ada -> C# compiler. Really, it would be much easier
to write such a new source to source compiler than to deep into the Java or
MSIL bytcode sea. I think at least a subset of Ada 95 (exceptions etc.) could
be ported. If the whole Ada 95 standard (tasks etc.) could be ported to Java
or C#, is another question. Anyway, for my most applications, I use only a
subset of Ada. I don't think anyone would demand real time applications for
.NET.

Somewhere I read about an "Ada 2005" standard. Are there any plans to extend
Ada?

Ingo