From: Ingo Marks <adv@region-nord.de>
Subject: Re: JGnat support. was NetBeans and ADA?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:09:47 +0100
Date: 2002-03-07T22:09:47+01:00	[thread overview]

Joachim Schr�er <joachim.schroer@dornier.eads.net> wrote:

> The current public version does only support j2sdk1.2 (currently we have
> 1.4.0). From ACT-Europe I got the information that JGnat will not be
> maintained in future due to lack of customer interest.
> We were interested in Ada -> Java technology that has future. Our current
> project demands Java and we have a few hundred thousend loc of (not very
> nice) Ada83. I would prefer a transition to Ada95 and a parallel
> improvement of the code but we need an Ada95 to bytecode compiler.
> Has anyone information about maintenance of other Ada->Java products like
> Aonix ObjectAda/Averstars appletmagic or similar?
>
> J. Schr�er

If ACT-Europe is not willing to support JGNAT anymore, they would possibly be
willing to put JGNAT into Open Source. Would that make sense or doesn't it
matter due to lack of commercial support? I think it's better to support
JGNAT by the public than to let JGNAT disappear into oblivion. Another choice
would be to write a Ada 95 -> Java compiler (and/or Ada95 -> C#) but that
would be pretty much work ;-)

I am sorry about that most programmers prefer light-weight languages like
Java and C# instead of Ada 95. Of course, they seem to be more comfortable
and easier to learn. But my experience with Ada is far better that with all
my previous languages Perl, PHP, Java, C++ etc. The larger the projects the
better the life with Ada. Now the IMHO very best language seems to pass away
- slowly but surely. It's a shame! But there is some hope: In last weeks I
discovered some new websites regarding Ada 95 (for example,
http://www.ada-deutschland.de in German).

By the way: Does anyone know about any Ada support for the Microsoft .NET
platform?

Ingo