From: "Gautier Write-only-address" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: STATIC types in ADA?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 20:42:13 +0000
Date: 2002-03-01T20:42:13+00:00	[thread overview]

>Do STATIC data types (like C++ has) exist in ADA?
>I think private is the closest thing I've found that will do it.

It's much simpler. Ada is a block-structured language.
A variable declared outside of procedure or package P is
"static" relatively to P. Inside of P, it is a local variable
just to be used by P. Where a variable is visible, it is alife
and keep its value.

Ex:

package body P is
  i: Integer;

  procedure Q is
    j: integer;
    function R(...) return ... is
      k: integer;
    begin
      -- here i,j,k are visible
    end R;
  begin
    j:= ...
    i:= i+j;
  end Q;

begin
  i:= 0;
  Q;
  -- i has changed
  Q;
  -- again...
end P;

Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

NB: For a direct answer, address on the Web site!