From: Michal Nowak <vinnie@inetia.pl>
	<comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: Ada on NT
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:29:22 +0100
Date: 2001-11-22T16:29:22+01:00	[thread overview]

On 01-11-22 at 14:52 Siegfried Gonzi wrote:
>There are two possibilities:
>
>a) You can laugh, because you think I am a fool

Oh, I do _not_ take you as a fool!

>b) I do not laugh anymore after this installation-nightmare

OK, I understand you, I also have many battles with installing and
running Java under Linux. I think I felt just like you. But don't
be so angry at once. Sometimes a little question can help.

>it seems Ada
>is well suited for numerical analysis;

And for many other purposes...

>Question 1: After downloading the Gnat-compiler and unzipping it
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
Here may be the problem. I do not know what is the zipped file you
get, but on ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/ is a file
named: gnat-3.13p-nt.exe (executable)
size: 23 500 591 bytes.
Try with this one.

After installation restart of the system may be needed ( I do not
remember, I have it under Windows 98)

>Question 2: I want to make the hello-world example

Make a file Hello.adb

You know what the code should be :-)

In the simplest case (with no IDE), go to directory, where the file is
located and type: gnatmake hello.adb

>Question 3: It seems before question 2 can be performed I have to build
>Ada for NT,
>okay:

See point 1.

>Question 4: (an citation from the Win32 binding section):
>
>-Open a DOS command window.
>-Run the SETPATH.BAT command from the directory where GNAT is installed.
>- \win32ada\setpath (first edit \win32ada\setpath.bat if you are using
>gnat 3.08)

I do not have this batch file also, but it says "if you are using
gnat 3.08". What version of GNAT did you get? Get 3.13p (see point 1).

Good luck,
Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\