* ObjectAda 7.1 Special Edition - how do I use my own packages?
@ 2001-11-02 21:05 Axeplyr
From: Axeplyr @ 2001-11-02 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, Everybody;

I'm new to this group and new to ADA.  I picked up an ADA book (Problem
Solving and Program Design, Feldman/Koffman).  It came with ObjectAda
Special Edition Version 7.1.

The book runs you through the basics and eventually demonstrates a package
that you must put into the library.  I followed the book's explanation and
compiled the .spc file with no problems.  Then the .bdy file must be
compiled, but I can't figure out how to compile it!  I tried inserting the
.iff, .xrc, and .spc files into the respective libraries, no help.  The
documentation with this compiler is weak at best.

Am I missing something?  Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

John

* RE: ObjectAda 7.1 Special Edition - how do I use my own packages?
@ 2001-11-02 22:18 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-11-02 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

You didn't say what platform you're running on,
but regardless of the platform, the package body,
and any other file you want to compile, has to
be added to the project.

So, assuming you're running on Windows, and using
the IDE, select Project/Files, browse to the
directory containing the file, select it, and
click the Add button.  Now you will be able to
compile the body.

I haven't used the command line method in quite
some time, so I don't remember off the top of
my head how to do it.  Maybe a command line
expert will chime in.

Hope this helps.

Frank

@ 2001-11-03  7:14 ` Axeplyr
From: Axeplyr @ 2001-11-03  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not even getting that far - all I'm trying to do is create the package.
Compile the body of the package itself.  I've created the .spc file and
compiled it, and it compiled it with no errors.  Then I try to compile the
body of the package.  But I get an error, because it can't see the
specification file.  So I anually carried the specification file to the
library and I still can't compile the body.

Later-

John

@ 2001-11-03 15:04 ` Scooter
From: Scooter @ 2001-11-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have that book, although I don't recall seeing that program. Where is it
on the CD? What edition of the book do you have?

If all else fails, you might try asking Dr. Feldman. He was very helpful
when I had a question, but don't bother him too much or he may become less
receptive to questions.

@ 2001-11-03 15:17 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-11-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

While I haven't used the Special Edition version, I do use OA 7.2
Professional.
Assuming special edition comes with the IDE, select "File>New Project" from
the menu
and then add your files to the project.  Once the project has been created
and sources
have been inserted into the project you can compile, build, run, etc.

Your sources can be anywhere on the system.  I don't know wht athe .iff,
.xrc, and other
files are, but they are used by the compiler and you generally don't have to
deal with
them directly.

SteveD

@ 2001-11-03 17:52   ` Axeplyr
From: Axeplyr @ 2001-11-03 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, so if I type in a package spec and body that he has in the text, I need
to create a project that uses them,  then compile, build and execute the
entire thing?   I don't need to precompile them?

The book indicates that you must compile the specification file, then the
body file before you can use them.

I'll give it a try and get back - thanks for the help!

John

@ 2001-11-04 21:56 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-11-04 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>From: "Axeplyr" <john.fluetter@aixtra.de>

>Ok, so if I type in a package spec and body that he has in the text, I need
>to create a project that uses them,  then compile, build and execute the
>entire thing?   I don't need to precompile them?

What do you mean by "precompiling" ?

>The book indicates that you must compile the specification file, then the
>body file before you can use them.

Exactly - after one successful compilation OA knows how to do
with the unit inside the project.

>I'll give it a try and get back - thanks for the help!

BTW, if you have enough bandwidth or time you'd better to download
the OA 7.2 SE @
  http://www.aonix.com/content/products/objectada/objectada.html
or directly @
  ftp://ftp.aonix.com/pub/ada/public/pal/
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/e3d.htm

NB: Do not answer to sender address, visit the Web site!
    Ne r�pondez pas � l'exp�diteur, visitez le site ouaibe!

* RE: ObjectAda 7.1 Special Edition - how do I use my own packages?
@ 2001-11-05 17:46 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-11-05 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

If you're familiar with Windows tools, many, if not most,
use a "project" concept.  With OA, you first create a
project (using "File/New Project" as SteveD said), then
add files to it using the "Project/Files/Add..." option.
If you are creating a brand new file, use the "File/New File"
option to create the file.  Once you're to the point where
you want to compile it, you must first save it ("File/Save"),
then add it to your project ("Project/Files/Add..."), and
then you can compile it.

I hope this makes more since.

Frank

PS.
Steve, OA SE's are just like OA Professionals, but with limits
on the number of packages, or units per library, etc., and minus
some additional packages and bindings.  The IDE and GUI Builder
work exactly the same.

@ 2001-11-08  9:48 ` Peter Dencker
From: Peter Dencker @ 2001-11-08  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may ask your local Aonix office for a free copy of the Special Edition
7.2 if you don't have the bandwidth to download it directly from

http://www.aonix.com/content/products/objectada/windows.html

or via ftp
ftp://ftp.aonix.com/pub/ada/public/pal/

Best regards
Peter Dencker
Sales Manager Aonix GmbH (Germany)

@ 2001-11-08 17:36   ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2001-11-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe that ObjectAda Special Edition version 7.2.1 available at

http://www.aonix.com/content/downloads/objectada/full_721.zip

is newer than the 7.2 version in the PAL ftp site.  However it took me
almost four hours to download it over a 49k modem connection.

Britt