From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: windows bindings
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:24:39 -0400
Date: 2001-10-12T10:24:39-04:00	[thread overview]

> Has
> anyone wrote a simplified (i.e. not in legal jargon) summary of the GMGPL
> license that describes what it allows like the ppl have tried to do with
the
> GPL?

The GMGPL is GPL plus the following (taken from the GWindows headers):

-- As a special exception,  if other files  instantiate  generics from
this --
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files  to produce an
executable, --
-- this  unit  does not  by itself cause  the resulting  executable  to
 be --
-- covered  by the  GNU  General  Public  License.  This exception does
not --
-- however invalidate  any other reasons why  the executable file  might
be --
-- covered by the  GNU Public
         --

I do have a question about this, perhaps Robert Dewar and others with more
experience can answer this question:

If some one was to extend through OO an Ada tagged type would this new type
and associated code be infected with the GMGPL?

Practical example:

In GWindows you have handlers that can be used to set events, but it is also
possible to use OO to override various events and respond to them. Would
that mean that my Whatchamakalit Order Entry forum must now be released
under GMGPL since it uses OO to handle events from say
GWindows.Windows.Window_Type

At what point is something an extension to GWindows or an entity on to its
own, becomes very blurred here...

David Botton