* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
       [not found] <20011007212703.80C60A801E@ada.eu.org>
@ 2001-10-11 23:48 ` Ann S. Brandon
From: Ann S. Brandon @ 2001-10-11 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

This is response to Tom Moran's comment on Sunday:

> I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
> and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
> old web pages with antiquated information.

I searched on Google twice on two different computers for Ada compilers
(not using any quotes) and got, as a first hit, the antiquated Ada Home
page, and on the second the newest AdaIC Compiler page.

http://www.adaic.org/compilers/

> Eventually I saw
> directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada/Compilers
> and www.acm.org/sigada et al, but someone who didn't already know the
> answers already would have waded through a lot of unhelpful stuff
> first.

I will definitely contact the person in charge of this directory and set
her straight.

> Do a google search and see what I mean.

Same result both times. So I'm not sure how to repeat your results.

>  Do the other search
> engines turn up more helpful information?

I'll check on this next week. Am not sure yet if we need to register the
pages officially or just depend on the search engines to do their jobs.

> What can be done to make it
> easy, instead of hard, for someone new to Ada to find a compiler?

I hope our new site will make this easy with its drop-down menus, which
allow surfers to go instantly anywhere in the site. In other words, if
someone lands on almost any page of our new site, they are be able to go
to the compilers list to compare compilers, or to the downloads list to
get a free temporary one and try out Ada.

By the way, I'm *always* interested in new search word suggestions from
anyone to help people find the new AdaIC web site.

Thanks,
Ann Brandon
--
-33-

Onyons, Inc.
P.O. Box 294
Randolph Center, VT  05061
USA
(802) 728-9947
abrandon@sover.net

Shameless self-promotion: Chekck out my new book, "Artful Italy"
(November 2001), at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/193122904X/qid%3D1002843950/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/103-3118907-9937403
*****

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
@ 2001-10-12  0:40   ` Gerhard Häring
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2001-10-12  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:48:40 -0400, Ann S. Brandon <abrandon@sover.net> wrote:
>This is response to Tom Moran's comment on Sunday:
>
>> I asked Google for "Ada Compilers"
>> and got a bunch of stuff, but the first several entries were for very
>> old web pages with antiquated information.
>
>I searched on Google twice on two different computers for Ada compilers
>(not using any quotes) and got, as a first hit, the antiquated Ada Home
>page, and on the second the newest AdaIC Compiler page.
>
>http://www.adaic.org/compilers/
>
>> Eventually I saw
>> directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada/Compilers
>> and www.acm.org/sigada et al, but someone who didn't already know the
>> answers already would have waded through a lot of unhelpful stuff
>> first.

Yes, *please* do. If Google doesn't allow for "editor feedback", please
go to the same category (replace directory.google.com with dmoz.org) at
dmoz.org and send a short note to the category maintainers. You can skip
the editor ghaering, cos that's me and I am already aware of the quality
problem of the Ada category. But I have almost given up editing in this
category, because the other guy's policies wrt to quality-vs-quantity
seem to be incompatible with mine.

Speaking of which, Adapower does have a list of compilers vendors.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
@ 2001-10-12  0:45   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-10-12  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1002844217.25843.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, "Ann S. Brandon" <abrandon@sover.net> writes:

> I hope our new site will make this easy with its drop-down menus, which
> allow surfers to go instantly anywhere in the site. In other words, if
> someone lands on almost any page of our new site, they are be able to go
> to the compilers list to compare compilers, or to the downloads list to
> get a free temporary one and try out Ada.

Please make sure it works from secured browsers (Java, JavaScript and
cookies all disabled).

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
@ 2001-10-12  0:50     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-10-12  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

How exactly did it happen that I was replaced as the editor for dmoz.org
(certainly if I overly minded I would have said something a while ago)?....
Never quite understood :-)

Perhaps the same means can be used to replace your partner.

David Botton

@ 2001-10-12  1:18   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-10-12  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Eventually I saw
> > directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Ada/Compilers
> > and www.acm.org/sigada et al, but someone who didn't already know the
> I will definitely contact the person in charge of this directory and set
> her straight.
  I didn't mean those had problems - the problem was finding those from
the simple google search (without being led astray by adahome).

> I hope our new site will make this easy with its drop-down menus, which
  Again, the problem is not the content of the site, but being led
astray before finding the site.

> By the way, I'm *always* interested in new search word suggestions from
  "forestall cyberterrorism" "safe cyber infrastructure" "security"
"hardened software"

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
@ 2001-10-12  2:05     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-10-12  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Axrx7.4995$gT6.3326554@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com>, tmoran@acm.org writes:

>> By the way, I'm *always* interested in new search word suggestions from
>   "forestall cyberterrorism" "safe cyber infrastructure" "security"
> "hardened software"

Try some negatives: software error, software defect, software bug,
(same three with "computer").

* Re: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-10-12  4:06   ` Michael Garrett
From: Michael Garrett @ 2001-10-12  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hello Ann,

At one time, we had a conversation ( several actually ) about using
ada in medical instruments. Alot has changed since we last emailed!!

I have have another baby ( girl Charlotte ) to make a total of three. I
think
we had one the last time we communicated.

I have resigned my position as VP of RD at medical research Labs (MRL)
and have started a consulting company with my wife. We are both
working part time and raising the family full time....

MRL came out with two more products, both AED Automatic External
Defibrillators
using "C", leveraging our existing code base.

As a consultant I will be concentrating on finding a "seed" product to form
a manufacturing company around.

Anyway...Recognized your name and thought I'd say hi!

Michael C. Garrett
Garrett Technologies Inc.

       [not found] <004901c152d3$53b51d00$01010101@oxygen>
@ 2001-10-12  5:44 ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2001-10-12  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

From: Bob Leif
To: Michael Garrett, Ann Brandon et al.
Although to most of us the utility of Ada for medical devices is obvious,
the FDA has not been educated to this fact. My own pleasant experience was
having a software manager in a state of euphoria, when the time for
integration was less than two days and he beat the date for completion of
the hardware.

As a former professor of Biomedical Engineering, I have always been upset
about the lack of instruction in the regulatory aspect of the profession.
This is in spite of about one fourth of the students becoming involved in
satisfying the FDA, who is the first customer for the device.

I might also suggest, that if one has an installed, well tested code base in
C, it is quite reasonable to reuse this code. However, this can be done by
encapsulating the C into the bodies of Ada packages.