* GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10  4:24 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-10  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

		      Announcing the release of

			    GWindows 1.1p

		    The Ada 95 Win32 RAD Framework

			    March 9, 2003

GWindows, the Professional Open Source Ada 95 Win32 RAD Framework,
introduces for the first time to Ada programming a comprehensive rapid
application development framework spanning GUI, Database and Active X
integration. It brings AdaPower ;-) to programming domains that up
until now are dominated by VB and Delphi.

GWindows includes extensive bindings to the Windows GUI including
support for common controls and dialogs, printing, and owner drawn
extensions to controls. In addition, GWindows adds a number of new
controls, keyboard support, multiple models of event handling, Active
X controls, support for creating dialogs and windows from resource
files, dynamic garbage collected windows, Window docking, non-GUI
bindings, database support, _database bound controls_, and much more!

GWindows builds as either ANSI or UNICODE (a first for Ada!) for
internationalization and performance boosts on Windows NT, 2000, and
XP. GWindows is tightly integrated with GNATCOM, the Ada 95
COM/DCOM/COM+ Development Framework and Tools opening every facet of
the Windows platforms to Ada 95 development. Never again will the
cries be heard, "but there are no bindings" on the Windows platform!

GWindows is designed to take advantage of Ada's unique combination of
features rich typing mechanisms. It is not a thin binding to an
underlying C interface, but a complete framework that takes advantage
of Ada at every level.

GWindows is being used world wide for production products by governments
and large companies to small personal projects.

Verision 1.1 of GWindows adds additional stability and improved support
for ActiveX controls, a binding to the Scinittla programmers editor
control and a Tcl/Tk control.

GWindows is being made available under the GNAT modified GNU GPL used
by GNAT's runtime library making it availble for use in both GPL and
proprietary applications.

For more information on GWindows, to view the on-line documentation,
and to download the product, please visit
http://www.adapower.com/gwindows.

Tutorials for GWindows are available at:
http://www.adapower.com/gwindows/user_guide.html

Information on the public version of GNATCOM can be found at
http://www.adapower.com/gnatcom. Professional support for GNATCOM is
available from Ada Core Technologies, Inc. Please contact
report@gnat.com for a no-cost GNATCOM evaluation package.

David Botton
Email: David@Botton.com
Web: http://www.adapower.com

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10 12:07 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-03-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.3.1047270309.32742.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> Announcing the release of
>
> 			    GWindows 1.1p

I don't seem to be able to download the 1.1p .zip file - anyone able
to download this?

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10 14:25   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-03-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway; +Cc: martin.dowie

> I don't seem to be able to download the 1.1p .zip file - anyone able
> to download this?
The problem is now fixed.

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10 16:32   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Sorry, there was a link problem, fixed and available at

@ 2003-03-10 16:49 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-03-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice one David!

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10 18:39   ` support
From: support @ 2003-03-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hit a couple of problems trying to install this (make ANSI=1 install),
on WinNT, v4, sp6.  None of these are likely problems
with the distribution, but they are things that might also cause
trouble for typical brain-dead downloaders like me. so I'll
share my results.

1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:

a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.

b. attrib also acted up in the makefile. IDK why.  It seems to
have fixed itself.  I think I changed some of the attrib commands
to  CMD /C "attrib ...   ".  Note that the entire attrib command
is enclosed in double quotes.  This at least kept the makefiles
from crashin. I hope it worked.

2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
   first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.

3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
   I've set
ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;

    This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.

4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
    should need to have perl/bin on your path.

Al

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-10 22:09 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

> 1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
> commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
> version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
> use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
> work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:

The one that comes with the public GNAT distributions.

> a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
> mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
> destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
> instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
> It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.

You must be using cygwin. Change to the DOS prompt and you will have less
problems.

> b. attrib also acted up in the makefile. IDK why.  It seems to
> have fixed itself.  I think I changed some of the attrib commands
> to  CMD /C "attrib ...   ".  Note that the entire attrib command
> is enclosed in double quotes.  This at least kept the makefiles
> from crashin. I hope it worked.

ditto

> 2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
>    first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.

Stated on the Web Page

> 3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
>    I've set
> ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;
>
>     This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.

Again this is a product of your not using the DOS prompt.

> 4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
>     should need to have perl/bin on your path.

They are only needed if you try to produce HTML files from the sources. I
haven't used that part of the Makefiles in a while, wonder if it still
works.... I've been using other tools as of late.

Perhaps you should consider contributing a set of makefiles that work for
your env. if everything works out well for you.

David Botton

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11  0:50 ` support
From: support @ 2003-03-11  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote:

> > 1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
> > commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
> > version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
> > use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
> > work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:
>
> The one that comes with the public GNAT distributions.

I just reinstalled gnat 3.15p, and yes, that's the make that I am using,
too.  This is what happens:

L:\Ada\gwindows>make ANSI=1 install
make -C bindings
make[1]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make ansi
make[2]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
attrib -r gwindows.ads
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings.adb
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
copy gwindows_ansi.ads gwindows.ads
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy gwindows_ansi.ads
gwindows.ads, ...)
 failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make[2]: *** [ansi] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make: *** [all] Error 2

******The following shows which make I am using:

L:\Ada\gwindows>make -v
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

> > a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
> > mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
> > destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
> > instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
> > It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.
>
> You must be using cygwin. Change to the DOS prompt and you will have > less problems.

I am running from the NT CMD prompt, as shown above, but I do have
cygwin installed.  Is that causing the trouble?  I don't think
it should.  If I change my path to I:\Gnat\bin and nothing else, I
still have these problems.

> > 2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
> >    first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.
>
> Stated on the Web Page

I know. I was just reiterating that for anyone else like me that
didn't realize that they had an older gnatcom.

> > 3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
> >    I've set
> > ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;
> >
> >     This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.
>
> Again this is a product of your not using the DOS prompt.

But I am typing make ANSI=1 install at the NT cmd prompt.
I get this:

gwindows-gstrings.adb:44:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.adb:45:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: file "gnatcom.ads" not found
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: "Gwindows.Gstrings (body)" depends on
"Gwindows.Gstrings (spec)"
gwindows-gstrings.ads:39:06: "Gwindows.Gstrings (spec)" depends on
"Gnatcom (spec)"
gwindows-gstrings.ads:73:43: "GNATCOM" is undefined (more references
follow)
gnatmake: "gwindows-gstrings.adb" compilation error
make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 4
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If I don't set Ada_Include_Path, how does the compiler find the
gnatcom specs?   Is there any assumed relationship of the gnatcom and
gwindows directories?  Does it matter that I've got gnat on my I: drive
and gwindows and gnatcom on my L: drive? I just installed gnatcom
today, so if the gnatcom make install was supposed to set anything, it
ought to be still set.  Tell me how the compiler finds it and I can
try to check my system to see what's up.

Here's a funny one that pops up at the end of the makefile:

gnatlink gbmanager.ali
make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools/gbmanager'
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools'
copy tools\gnatreg\gnatreg.exe bindings\gnatreg.exe
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy toolsgnatreggnatreg.exe
bindingsgnatreg.exe, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [register] Error 2

As the identical copy command works just fine from the cmd prompt,
this sure makes it look like the make program is not working like
it ought to.  Anyone have any ideas if there could be a bad dll
that is messing up make this way? Which one?  Could the gnat
installer be detecting cygwin on my machine and giving me some
variation of the tools?  I see a cyggnat.dll in my gnat\bin
directory.  I'm sure that the make that I'm running is the one
that gnat 3.15p installs.

As I said, this wasn't anything that I wasn't able to work my way
through, but it might be helpful to someone else somewhere along
the way.

Al

> > 4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
> >     should need to have perl/bin on your path.
>
> They are only needed if you try to produce HTML files from the sources. I
> haven't used that part of the Makefiles in a while, wonder if it still
> works.... I've been using other tools as of late.
>
> Perhaps you should consider contributing a set of makefiles that work for
> your env. if everything works out well for you.
>
> David Botton

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11  2:39     ` R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2003-03-11  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

<support@PublicPropertySoftware.com> wrote in message
> I hit a couple of problems trying to install this (make ANSI=1 install),
> on WinNT, v4, sp6.  None of these are likely problems
> with the distribution, but they are things that might also cause
> trouble for typical brain-dead downloaders like me. so I'll
> share my results.
>
> 1. First, there seems to be some trouble between make and the copy
> commands in the gwindows/bindings/makefile.  I'm using the 3.77
> version of make that was recommended at one time as the one to
> use with gnat, IIRC.  Is there a newer or better one that will
> work better with this makefile?  To deal with this:
>
> a. I replaced 'copy' with 'cp' wherever "copy" appeared in any
> mkefile and made  sure that the cp commands all had an explicit
> destination.  Note that backslashes have to be doubled, ie  \\
> instead of \ for use with cp, and you have to have cp installed.
> It comes with some distributions of unix utilities for windows.

I think it is because there is no "copy.exe". It is just a command supported
by CMD. I replaced all copy by $(COPY) and set COPY=CMD /C at the top of the
makefile.

appeared to take care of it.

> b. attrib also acted up in the makefile. IDK why.  It seems to
> have fixed itself.  I think I changed some of the attrib commands
> to  CMD /C "attrib ...   ".  Note that the entire attrib command
> is enclosed in double quotes.  This at least kept the makefiles
> from crashin. I hope it worked.
>
> 2. You've got to have the most recent version of GnatCom installed
>    first before installing GWindows. An older version won't work.
>
> 3. You've got to set the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH:
>    I've set
> ADA_INCLUDE_Path=L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings;L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Tools;
>
>     This is where Gnatcom is installed on my machine.
>
> 4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
>     should need to have perl/bin on your path.
>

> Al

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11  7:46   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-03-11  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> David Botton wrote:
> L:\Ada\gwindows>make ANSI=1 install
> make -C bindings
> make[1]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
> make ansi
> make[2]: Entering directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
> attrib -r gwindows.ads
> attrib -r gwindows-gstrings.adb
> attrib -r gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
> copy gwindows_ansi.ads gwindows.ads
> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy gwindows_ansi.ads
> gwindows.ads, ...)
>  failed.
> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
> make[2]: *** [ansi] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
> make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/bindings'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I saw this on my work PC (which doesn't have cygwin) in the
end I just ignored the make file and 'cd'-ed into the directory
and did it all by hand.

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11  9:37   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2003-03-11  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al:

> If I don't set Ada_Include_Path, how does the compiler find the
> gnatcom specs?

The compiler also uses the registry to find libraries. E.g. it
is how it finds the Win32 bindings. You can see it with
regedit or with the tool gnatreg (GUI variant in gwindows).
The gnatcom installer sets an entry for it and the gwindows
installer too. The only thing to do between installing
gnatcom and gwindows is to make the gnatcom tools visible,
e.g. by copying the .exe's into GNAT's bin directory that is
in the PATH.

HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11 16:22   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-11 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Strange... Instead of treating copy as a shell command your make is treating
it as an exe file.

If you manually copy the files from the gwindows\bindings file listed in the
make file (for either ANSI or UNICODE builds) and then run"

make all

you should be OK.

The make packaged with GNAT is 3.79.1, so that may be the factor.

David Botton

> [...]
> variation of the tools?  I see a cyggnat.dll in my gnat\bin
> directory.  I'm sure that the make that I'm running is the one
> that gnat 3.15p installs.
>
> As I said, this wasn't anything that I wasn't able to work my way
> through, but it might be helpful to someone else somewhere along
> the way.
>

> Al
>

> > > 4.  It also looks like the makefile calls some perl scripts, so you
> > >     should need to have perl/bin on your path.
> >
> > They are only needed if you try to produce HTML files from the sources.
> > haven't used that part of the Makefiles in a while, wonder if it still
> > works.... I've been using other tools as of late.
> >
> > Perhaps you should consider contributing a set of makefiles that work
for
> > your env. if everything works out well for you.

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11 16:48     ` support
From: support @ 2003-03-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier wrote:

> Al:
>
> > If I don't set Ada_Include_Path, how does the compiler find the
> > gnatcom specs?
>
> The compiler also uses the registry to find libraries. E.g. it
> is how it finds the Win32 bindings. You can see it with
> regedit or with the tool gnatreg (GUI variant in gwindows).

This is getting curious.

I searched the NT registry for 'gnatcom'; having gnatcom installed in
L:\Ada\GnatCom. I figured that this search would find the path if
it is stored in there. I found an entry in:

	HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
	   \AppPaths\GnatCom1.3p\

With a value for path that pointed into L:\Recycler\, ie the trash
for the drive that gnatcom was installed on.  Probably not good.
I didn't set it to point at the trash.  What's up?  IDK.

I deleted the entry and re-ran the gnatcom install.  The installer
did not re-create the entry.

So, I go to add\remove programs to try to uninstall gnatcom, and it
has some old pointer to a previous version of gnatcom on another
drive, and it won't uninstall.  (The registry is evil, particularly
if you don't uninstall before re-installing.)

So, I go searching again for gnatcom in the registry, trying to find
this old pointer to another drive to get rid of it, and I find that
the gnatcom re-install has added a new setting:

	HKLM\SOftware\Ada Core Technologies\GNAT\Standard Libraries
		GNATCOM = L:\Ada\Gnatcom\Bindings

This wasn't there until I just reinstalled (I'm almost sure).
Will GWindows make install with this new setting and no
Ada_Include_Path?  No, but it does give us something else
interesting to consider:

gnatbind -aO./ -aO../../bindings/ -I- -x gnatreg.ali
gnatlink gnatreg.ali
ld: cannot find -lcomctl32
gnatlink: cannot call I:\GNAT\BIN\gcc.exe
gnatmake: *** link failed.
make[2]: *** [gnatreg] Error 4
make[2]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools/gnatreg'
make[1]: *** [gnatreg] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `L:/Ada/gwindows/tools'
make: *** [tools] Error 2

This machine must be haunted.  This makefile ran yesterday
afternoon just fine without hitting this error. LibComCtl32.a
is surely in my I:\Gnat\Lib\Win32 directory.

I uninstall and reinstall GnatWin-3.15p.exe to see if that fixes
anything, then re-run Gwindows 'make ANSI=1 install'.  It works
fine with no ADA_INCLUDE_PATH now that the GnatCom registry
setting (above) is there.  Why it wasn't there yesterday is
just another one of those mysteries.

Al

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11 16:51     ` support
From: support @ 2003-03-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote:

> The make packaged with GNAT is 3.79.1, so that may be the factor.

I deleted make out of the gnat\bin directory, re-installed gnat 3.15p1,
and I sure get make 3.77 installed.  I'll deduce that you have a newer
gnat than I.

Al

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11 18:54 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-11 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Possibly, but the same install has worked on all releases.

David Botton

> > The make packaged with GNAT is 3.79.1, so that may be the factor.
> >

> I deleted make out of the gnat\bin directory, re-installed gnat 3.15p1,
> and I sure get make 3.77 installed.  I'll deduce that you have a newer
> gnat than I.
>

> Al

* Re: GWindows 1.1 Released
@ 2003-03-11 18:59 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-11 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Very strange indeed....

I would recommend using: gnatcom-20020610.zip from the AdaPower site