From: "Alexandre E. Kopilovitch" <aek@vib.usr.pu.ru>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
Subject: Problem space and solution space
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 05:40:09 +0400 (MSD)
Date: 2003-05-13T05:40:09+04:00	[thread overview]

"Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@attbi.com> wrote:
>working on our (Ada) compiler: "No, in Ada you model the problem space,
>not the solution space."  I then excused myself for a minute to write it
>on my office whiteboard.

Suddenly I realized that this statement has even more value that I thought when
I saw it yesterday first time. Naming "solution space" explicitly, and placing
it at the same level (within the statement) with "problem space" leads to very
interesting glimpse: potentially, parts of "solution space" may be viewed as
a "problem space" of software development process, and with that view some shaky
or too empirical things in software engineering arsenal can acquire more or less
solid ground (and thus be used in less chaotic manner).

(I can't resist the temptaion to share this understanding of a numinous word
with the community -;)

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia