From: "Marius Amado Alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
Subject: Yet another XML and Ada issue
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:02:53 -0700
Date: 2004-04-25T03:02:53-07:00	[thread overview]

"RELAX NG seems a valuable alternative to XQuery et al." (Marius)

"No!

RELAX NG is an alternative schema model, whose use should be actively
discouraged. I believe that we should stay with standard XML schema. This is
one case where the World Wide Web Consortium can learn from Ada about
creation of standards in a coordinated manor. RELAX NG seems to be favored
by Sun and IBM people. In this case Microsoft is totally correct in
specifying XML schema. Unfortunately, Microsoft has not implemented Office
using the XML FO and SVG standards. If the European Economic Union were
smart, it would fund a pan European development of a European alternative to
Office based on XML standards. Presently and in the past, Microsoft has had
the extreme good fortune of having technologically incompetent competitors.

If there is to be any further discussion on this subject, it should probably
be moved [from ada-comment] to comp.lang.ada." (Bob Leif)

Even XSchema proponents agree that RELAX NG suceeds at being a more compact
notation for XML schemas, useful for writing such schemas when schema
transformation (e.g. via XSLT) is not required. If this is often the case as
I believe it is then RELAX NG surely has earn its place in the landscape of
XML technologies. Politics aside of course. I understand there are tools to
promote RELAX NG objects to XSchema's, so there's no technical issue really.