From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: What do I need to write a Windows program with Ada?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:24:03 -0500
Date: 2003-03-18T20:24:03-05:00	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Gressett" <gresset1@airmail.spam>

> GWindows is very nice - the GUI interface stuff works very well, but
> the database access stuff is incomplete and lacks documentation. It is
> a very good start, but needs more work. (I'll be happy to contribute,
> as I very much need something like this)

The key to the database stuff is knowing ADO. The GWindows database support
is just glue to that. I hope to provide more information on using it in the
near future and additional support in GWindows itself.

> Support for printing is a bit weak as well. It works, but needs to
> have some higher-level abstractions added to make it really useful.

True, it is currently just slighlty thicker than the OS APIs.

> Something analogous to the qprinter package for Visual Basic printing
> would be very nice. See
> www.qbdsoftware.co.uk/moth/qprinter/
>
> qprinter is a great idea but suffers horribly from the limitations and
> weaknesses of VB. A similar package for GWindows would be very useful
> and would help to draw VB6 programmers to Ada rather than to
> VB.NET.(Again, I would be happy to help with this.)

Thank you for the link, I'll take a good look. From what I have read so far
you should be able to use QPrinter2 with GWindows with out a problem since
it is an ActiveX dll. I'll try and do some tests.

> Another weakness of GWindows is that the mailing list where users can
> go to help each other seems to be nonfunctional.

As far as I know everything is in order, can you e-mail me directly with
your specific problems. David@Botton.com

Thanks!
David Botton