From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
To: "comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: Ada sockets and gnat 3.13 windows and linux interoperability
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:22:18 -0600
Date: 2003-02-14T19:22:18-06:00	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vinzent Hoefler" <JeLlyFish.software@gmx.net>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Sent: February 14, 2003 6:23 PM

> tony_gair@yahoo.co.uk (Tony Gair) wrote:

>> If I wanted to recompile the client side to windows using the client code I
>> have for linux , would this theoretically still work with the linux server ?

> On SigAda 2002 a paper was presented for a Satellite Terminal
> Simulator called TSim. They used gnat, Tcl/Tk, TASH, AdaSockets and
> the Booch Components and in the paper they state the following:

> "Throughout Round-3, we managed to retain the source code
> compatibility between Win32 and Linux. So, we could also build
> distributed TSim under Linux, and operate exactly the same way.
> Miraculously, we also found that the Satellite partitions were
> interoperable under Win32 and Linux.
> That is, we could run the Satellite partition under Linux, and the
> Terminal partition under Win32, with TC connected on the same or a
> different machine. Or, we could run the Satellite partition on Win32,
> and the Terminal partition under Linux, connected to TC on Win32 -
> possibly the same machine running the Satellite server. This was truly
> unexpected, and gave us something technically satisfying."

> Well, they used the Distributed Systems Annex, but I'd guess, even
> without that your chances are very good.

> If all else fails, you still can add representation clauses to the
> types you are exchanging to make sure they are represented the same
> way on all target systems.

It's not representation clauses that are needed, but rather stream
attributes that will control the network representation of the
data as it's transferred between systems.

The Distributed Systems Annex goes so far as to provide endianness-
independent stram attributes, so that the types will be accurately
transferred even between systems with different endianness.