From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:15:00 GMT
Date: 2008-02-27T12:15:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Erik Baigar wrote:
> "Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:
>> No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
>> graphics library for that.
>
> I have not looked into the different possibilities in detail
> now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
> a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
> thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?
>
> X11ada? , Motif/X-Binding?, AdaGTK?
>
>    Thanks and best regards,
>
>       Erik.

GtkAda.

x11ada is very low level and means you will be spending a lot of time
dealing with expose events.

Motif is a higher level toolkit and not a terrible choice.

GtkAda binds to a somewhat more modern library and 'works' under windows
as well.

Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
good. The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
just the Ada part -- the libraries themselves).

While this can be done (At least for Solaris) and is not too hard if you
know what you are doing, it can be a big deal.

If you are lucky,  you will be able to find pre-compiled libraries for a
Gtk version compatible with GtkAda.

If you have the money, getting GtkAda from AdaCore means you will also
get the pre-compiled Gtk libraries.

If you have more time than money, I suspect you can pull this all
together yourself.