* any interest in a separate forum for JVM target?
@ 2001-01-30 18:21 Terry Westley
From: Terry Westley @ 2001-01-30 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there is any interest here in a separate forum for technical discussions of
Ada compilers that target the JVM?

I have several JGNAT questions for which I've never found adequate answers,
either on CLA or Team Ada.  I'm hoping that a small community (say, at Yahoo
Groups, http://groups.yahoo.com) might attract enough readers with enough
varied experiences to get some of my questions answered.  Either that, or I'll
just have to figure out a way to pay for support!

I'm using JGNAT to implement Java Beans and Java servlet-based dynamic web
sites.  So far, I've been able to implement several HTML pages with JSP
(JavaServer Pages) that create, drop, update, and select from mySQL database
tables.  But, there have been some interesting little problems I've run into
that haven't been solved yet.

--Terry Westley
Author of TASH, an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk.
Visit the TASH web site at http://www.adatcl.com.

* Re: any interest in a separate forum for JVM target?
@ 2001-01-31 13:24 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-01-31 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Terry Westley wrote:

> Is there is any interest here in a separate forum for technical discussions of
> Ada compilers that target the JVM?
>
> I have several JGNAT questions for which I've never found adequate answers,
> either on CLA or Team Ada.  I'm hoping that a small community (say, at Yahoo
> Groups, http://groups.yahoo.com) might attract enough readers with enough
> varied experiences to get some of my questions answered.  Either that, or I'll
> just have to figure out a way to pay for support!

How about a mailing list?  These seem to work pretty well for
specialized technical groups (I'm very happy with the support I'm
getting in the ASIS mailing list ), and I'd be quite willing to join an
Ada->JVM mailing list.

I have some recollection that certain entities around here have offered
to host mailing lists and the like, I just don't recall any
specifics...  Maybe AdaPower?  David?

Marc A. Criley

* Re: any interest in a separate forum for JVM target?
@ 2001-01-31 14:43 ` Andrzej Lewandowski
From: Andrzej Lewandowski @ 2001-01-31 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Terry Westley" <twestley@buffalo.veridian.com> wrote in message news:DCDd6.2694$_o1.245930@news.uswest.net...
> Is there is any interest here in a separate forum for technical discussions of
> Ada compilers that target the JVM?

YES.

A.L.

* Re: any interest in a separate forum for JVM target?
@ 2001-01-31 14:56   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-01-31 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3A7802EA.92D5E435@earthlink.net>,
  "Marc A. Criley" <mcquadex@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have some recollection that certain entities around here have offered
> to host mailing lists and the like, I just don't recall any
> specifics...  Maybe AdaPower?  David?

AdaPower does indeed host several mailing lists. Check out the "lab" for
examples.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: any interest in a separate forum for JVM target?
@ 2001-01-31 16:20   ` Terry Westley
From: Terry Westley @ 2001-01-31 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley <mcquadex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> How about a mailing list?  These seem to work pretty well for
> specialized technical groups (I'm very happy with the support I'm
> getting in the ASIS mailing list ), and I'd be quite willing to join an
> Ada->JVM mailing list.

I like the idea of a mailing list.  My first choice to host it would be
Yahoo Groups <http://groups.yahoo.com/>.  I've been pretty happy
with their hosting of the TASH mailing list at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tash/>.  This is a mailing list service
that not only lets you get individual emails or digests, but also lets you
read the messages on the web.  Also, it works with Netscape, unlike
MSN communities.

I've been encouraged to expand the charter of such a group to include
all Ada-based web and Internet programming technologies.  That would
attract a larger audience and so seems reasonable to me.

--
Terry Westley
Veridian Engineering