From: "Björn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil>
Subject: Re: License and Compiler Confusion
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:33:22 GMT
Date: 2006-03-25T20:33:22+00:00	[thread overview]

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I am a FreeBSD user.  I was thinking of picking up a language and I am
> considering Ada.

A wise choice. Welcome.

> I prefer to use a compiler that doesn't encumber my programs with any
> terms.  So I am confused by seemingly contradictory statements.  One
> source says I can't use gnat without encumbering my programs.  Another
> source says I can use gcc and my programs won't be encumbered.
>
> Are gcc and gnat two different pieces of software?  I was under the
> impression that gnat was simply gcc with Ada related tweaks.

It's a lot more than just tweaks, but your impression was basically
correct: Gnat is the Ada part of GCC. Adacore develops Gnat, and also
packages and distributes Gnat in such a way that it may seem like a
separate product.

The license of the compiler itself is GPL in all cases, but in the stock
GCC distribution (and in Gnat 3.15p) there is an exception in the
license of the run-time library so that it doesn't affect the license of
  the programs you compile. Adacore has removed this exception from Gnat
GPL, so Gnat GPL may only be used for GPL programs.

It's no wonder that you're confused, but the rule is simple when you
know it: If the GPL isn't your license of choice, don't use Gnat GPL.
Use the Gnat that is part of GCC instead.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.