* 16-bit Ada for MS-DOS?
@ 2004-05-14 14:49 Victor B. Putz
From: Victor B. Putz @ 2004-05-14 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a curious question.

I'm working with some students writing small tasks for a microsatellite
in an aeronautical engineering course.  Their Computer Science
curriculum has taught them only Ada (apart from a brief survey of four
different languages (C, Java, Scheme, Prolog) in a "paradigms" course).

The platform in use is based on a Nec V53 chip running a proprietary OS,
so the development environment is 16-bit C (or C++), compiled in small
memory model using MS Visual C++ version "Old" (the command-line
compiler is version 8.00c, from 1993 or so), and linked with several
small-model libraries.

I'm not sure I could even get the change approved if there WAS a
solution, but is there a way to compile Ada for 16-bit C and linkable
with MS small-memory-model C libraries?  I've looked a bit at gnat and
GCC, but I can't see how to specify a target like that...

-->VPutz

* Re: 16-bit Ada for MS-DOS?
@ 2004-05-14 17:07 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-05-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>solution, but is there a way to compile Ada for 16-bit C and linkable
>with MS small-memory-model C libraries?  I've looked a bit at gnat and
  Randy at RR Software (www.rrsoftware.com) has a 16 bit DOS Ada 83 compiler.
(I recently resurrected my copy to write a floppy bootable program to
read a corrupted Windows NTFS hard disk.  Runs a lot faster on modern
hardware. :)

* Re: 16-bit Ada for MS-DOS?
@ 2004-05-15  1:43 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-05-15  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor B. Putz wrote:

> I'm not sure I could even get the change approved if there WAS a
> solution, but is there a way to compile Ada for 16-bit C and linkable
> with MS small-memory-model C libraries?  I've looked a bit at gnat and
> GCC, but I can't see how to specify a target like that...

S. Tucker Taft's company, SofCheck, has an Ada-to-ANSI-C compiler that
should produce C that your C compiler could process. STT's e-mail
address is stt-at-sofcheck-dot-com. (I haven't noted him posting here
recently, so I've obsured the address.)

RR Software has a 16-bit DOS compiler available, if that will run on
your target. Randy Brukardt is the contact there (randy@rrsoftware.com).

--
Jeff Carter
"Sir Robin the-not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,