From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: David, have you thought about using an existing editor?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:35:55 -0600
Date: 2015-01-21T15:35:55-06:00	[thread overview]

"Hubert" <herrdoktor@fumanchu.com> wrote in message
news:xvCvw.1015500$Ub6.871244@fx20.iad...
>@ David Botton
>
> I have been following your posts about your idea for a IDE for Ada. I was
> thinking about somehting like that myself but was quickly discouraged
> because of the huge amount of work that this would be.

Writing an visual editor is not a "huge amount of work". I've written more
than a dozen of them over the years, including one for CP/M written in Z80
assembler (RED), and our MS-DOS TUI editor for Janus/Ada (JAWS). Plus the
entire "SLED" series of sample programs for Claw, building editors three
different ways. In modern systems, most of the complex edit stuff will be
available in some form in your GUI toolkit. (No one is going to build a GUI
from scratch today, as I had to with RED and the original JAWS.)

What's a lot of work is all of the Ada-specific stuff that one would want:
auto-indentation, syntax colorization, project management interfacing, build
management, and so on. And very little of that would appear in any useful
sense in some existing system. Even that which did would have to be bent to
fit into an existing scheme, which is likely to be at least as much work as
building something that makes sense from a blank slate.

So you're probably right about the amount of work, but wrong that there is
any sensible way to avoid it.

                                 Randy.