From: "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: FLTK and Ada?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:37:54 GMT
Date: 2003-08-15T23:37:54+00:00	[thread overview]

Here's my experience on Binding Ada and C++ (this doesn't talk about Binding
Ada to C which is much more natural).

My experience comes from Ada and the Pascal/Delphi worlds (Ada being in
essense a superset of Pascal/ObjectPascal I believe it can apply here as
experience)..:-).

If FLTK is as streamlined as it seems to be (yes I've been to their webstie
and downloaded and been studying it a bit so that I can at least look like I
know what I'm talking about hehehe....) It would be like trying to bind Ada
to wxWindows (another GUI).  My advice is you'd be better off porting the
library rather than binding to it.  C++ in it's OOP paradigm and different
tecniques and language features work differently than ada (or pascal) would
when dealing with events, tasks and threading, they all can do it, but they
address these issues differently by definition.

If the CodeBase to FLTK isn't too big for you, I would advice porting it to
Ada instead of binding Ata to FLTK.

IT is of course my humble advice, don't take it as the 11th commandment.
But it is what I would do.  I call upon the Oracle of Ada knowledgable
people here to flame me badly and torture me if I have said blasphemis in
suggesting to Port FLTK rather than Binding it. :-)

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor