From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Refresh of Ada-Auth.org
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:44:29 -0600
Date: 2014-12-18T15:44:29-06:00	[thread overview]

"Niklas Holsti" <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> wrote in message
news:cfff3fFjouvU1@mid.individual.net...
> On 14-12-18 03:00 , Randy Brukardt wrote:
>> "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message
>>> Ergo, this is the best that I can do (at least without complicating the
>>> pages with scripting or HTML 5 junk).
>>> BTW: I just noticed that the larger header graphic on the home page is
>>> forcing a wider than usual page.
>
> Yes, I noticed the same, after sending my whine.
>
>>> Would you still make this complaint on
>>> one of the other pages (like the ARG page, for example)? I don't expect
>>> anyone to spend much time on the home page (I took most of the real
>>> content off of it).
>
> But it's the first page one encounters... first impressions, you know...

Not really. More than 70% of visitors come from a search engine, and land
wherever; 20% more come from links from other sites (again landing
wherever). I suspect most of the remainder are coming from bookmarks or
links in e-mail. (Well, a lot of them are undetected bots, and no one cares
what they do.) Few come directly to the home page; that's the whole reason
for doing this overhaul so people can get to the other pages no matter where
they start from.

>> Seemingly before I got this back from the cla server, Adam sent me a hack
>> that does help the home page.
>
> I think it is OK now. You are perhaps using a large character size than is
> usual today; perhaps reduce it by a couple of points? Would help with the
> window width too.

It appears to be the same size as the news sites that I typically frequent
these days. And it's the same size as the old site. I think it might look
bigger because sans-serif fonts tend to look bigger than serif fonts. (In
the RM, I had to adjust the sans-serif font down by 1/2 pt to make it
balanced when they appear in the same sentence.) I see that I don't actually
set a font size for the normal text; it's using the default size for your
browser (which should allow users to enlarge or shrink it with browser
settings).

Still, it does look a bit large (especially if the Veradana font is used).
Perhaps I need to set the font to 90% as it is in the RM.

                                         Randy.