From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: Help with an errant 'IF' statement please.
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:46:41 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2014-11-30T13:46:41+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2014-11-30, Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:18:33 AM UTC, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>
>> Do what I told you to do and write a stripped down standalone test program
>> around the fragment you posted.
>>
>> You will then see what Dennis (and myself) are telling you.
>>
>> I could tell you what the problem is, but I think it's more important for
>> you to understand how to find this yourself.
>>

> Hi Simon - herewith the program sourcecode of the procedure in
> question - I would like to know for future - my main preoccupation is
> with problem solving but the elegance and efficacy of Ada are
> important to me also - bear with me -this a an experimental program by
> me and is not a fine example of programming in Ada. I would appreciate
> your help - I am going flat out with research work in cryptoland - Ada
> is a tool to me at the moment until I get more time to 'smell the
> flowers' of the language proper.

Hello Austin,

I said a standalone, compilable, test version.

The idea is that you post a small standalone example of your code which
can be directly copied from the posting into a file and then compiled
on a person's system.

You also need to reduce the code to the minimum necessary to demonstrate
the problem. BTW, it is during this reduction process that the reason for
the problem has a habit of becoming clear. :-)

Along with posting the code, you also state the _specific_ problem you
are having with this code (doesn't exit a loop, doesn't add up correctly,
etc) along with the output you are seeing.

Only at this point do we have enough information to try and help you.

For example, in the code you have posted, there are no variable definitions,
there are functions (such as Time_Ex_1) which are used and not defined and
you have not stated what the specific problem is with this version of the
code.

BTW, I'm not being difficult here, I'm trying to get you to help yourself
by explaining what is needed before you can be given some suggestions.

The process you need to go through here is the exact same process we all
go through when trying to isolate some specific problem.

To everyone else: Austin doesn't seem to understand what I am asking him
to do. Could my comments be improved in some way ?

Thanks,

Simon.