From: "Björn Lundin" <b.f.lundin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Any missing e-mail, social groups, etc?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:55:27 +0100
Date: 2014-11-27T16:55:27+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2014-11-27 15:03, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Mark Carroll wrote:
>
>> What kinds of things are what kinds of Danish users doing with Ada?
>
> Equipment for the International Space Station, computer games, data
> analysis, computational linguistics, ...

Also Warehouse Management Systems, and Warehouse Control Systems.

Actually, three major danish retail companies uses a
 Warehouse Management System written in Ada.

For the danes reading this
* Netto
* SuperGros
* Coop
The customer names are seen in the video-links or the links below

<http://www.consafelogistics.com/our-offer/warehousing/sattstore-wms>

One is extremely automated, one is not automated at all, just very many
forklifts, and voice-based pick, and one is in-between, much automation
and many voice-pickers and fork-lifts as well.

The automated one has 40 high-bay stacker cranes, 15 robots for layer
picking, 5-to-come mini-loads cranes (I'm working right now with it,
helping out the danish office) and ca 20 STV:s - kind of an automated
truck on a mono-rail running in an oval track.

The layer picking robots from the vendors (Dematic) perspective,
they kind to fail to mention they are a small part of the store...
But they get orders, stock-data, etc from Ada...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJaqtZnL2Co>

The rest from the main hardware vendor (Daifuku)
cranes/stvs etc

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE5yqCXbHJE>

It has be expanded since the film was made.

This vendor also fails to mention the brain of the system, the WMS.

Which is in Ada.
And David Bottom, if you read this, your gnatcom is used in
communicating with the conveyor plcs.
System is on AIX but I wrote a bridge between OPC and our system, also
all Ada - a windows service coupled with opcda.dll via gnatcom.

The half-automated one is described in danish here
<http://www.consafelogistics.dk/in-practice/articles/supergros>

and the not automated here
<http://www.consafelogistics.dk/in-practice/news/pickbyvoice>
it is mentioned that they have 550 voice-pick units in 4 sites
used by 1200 workers (yes shift)

The WMS does not control the machines, but it administrates them,
selects locations in the highbay, tells the STV/Crane/Conveyor/Belt
when to pickup and where to deliver etc. It also speaks with the ERP of
course, to get orders/stock data ..., and report back.
SAP is common around here.

--
Björn