* What is the situation with Janus Ada?
@ 2014-11-22  1:55 Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2014-11-22  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I understand Randy is the person behind Janus Ada? Since I am yet to
make a choice what compiler to use for my small projects here I would
like to know what is the situation with this? I read some remarks in
other threads which were not entirely clear.

So what is the status of it on Windows 32/64 and Linux? Is Mingw
required on Windows? What language Standard is supported? I understand
it is mostly Ada 95 but are there realistic plans to implement newer
features? And what is the timeline?

Thanks

---

* Re: What is the situation with Janus Ada?
@ 2014-11-22 15:45 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-11-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert wrote:

> So what is the status of it on Windows 32/64 and Linux? Is Mingw
> required on Windows?

Not available for Linux.  I don't know if anybody has tested Janus/Ada
with WINE.

> What language Standard is supported?

Ada 95.

> I understand it is mostly Ada 95 but are there realistic plans to
> implement newer features? And what is the timeline?

No (known) timeline for newer features, but Object'Image is likely to
appear soon.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Look!  Ugly one-horned mule."

* Re: What is the situation with Janus Ada?
@ 2014-11-23 16:33   ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2014-11-23 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

22.11.2014 17:45, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Hubert wrote:
>
>> So what is the status of it on Windows 32/64 and Linux? Is Mingw
>> required on Windows?
>
> Not available for Linux.  I don't know if anybody has tested Janus/Ada
> with WINE.

Using Janus/Ada with WINE works. I semi-regularly test my Ahven
library with Janus/Ada and WINE on Fedora Linux 20.

Mingw is not required, but Microsoft Windows SDK is (the one which
contains the linker and some libraries).

I am currently using Janus/Ada on 32-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows 7,
and 64-bit Windows 8.1. (WINE is set to use 32-bit mode.)

Yours,
 Tero