* PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 16:36 J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

An extraordinary result of the Ada/HOOD combination! For the
justification of this choice, see:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997ESASP.409..133D

And tell your friends  (an enemys too! ;-) )
--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 17:55 ` David Botton
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any Ada using Hood tutorial or website.

David Botton

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 18:32 ` Jonathan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-12 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:36:44 PM UTC, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> An extraordinary result of the Ada/HOOD combination! For the
> justification of this choice, see:
>
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997ESASP.409..133D
>
> And tell your friends  (an enemys too! ;-) )
> --

I tell everyone who'll listen.
And remember Chandra, Cassini, Huygens, etc.
Cassini is still at work, BTW, 6 yrs after its original mission was complete. I've been preparing images from these missions for my own use (banner-art, decorations for an Ada-oriented website) but I'd be happy to share it with the regulars at comp.lang.ada who want something like this.

http://web.am.qub.ac.uk/users/j.parker/images/

If anyone wants to use these, use your browser to make a copy, and also get a copy of the text+copyright notice, and do it now.
I'll remove them from public view very soon.

J.

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 18:49 ` Jonathan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

While we're at it, we should congratulate Peter Chapin and company for a successful CubeSat mission. I notice that the wikipedia article says:

"Vermont Lunar is the only non NASA/Air Force CubeSat from this ELaNa IV launch that is fully working. Eight were never heard from at all."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Lunar_CubeSat
http://embedded-computing.com/articles/2014-vermont-technical-college/#
http://www.cubesatlab.org/

J.

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 18:52   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-12 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't see the (c) notice. Are these PD images?

Gnoga = Saturn in Hebrew. The e-ring image is incredible I'd like to use it.

@ 2014-11-12 20:26     ` Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:52:31 PM UTC, David Botton wrote:
> I don't see the (c) notice. Are these PD images?
>
> Gnoga = Saturn in Hebrew. The e-ring image is incredible I'd like to use it.
>
> David Botton

I can't find it either! I meant to say: copy the text with the image credits. In every case in which I did manage to track down and examine the copyright, the images were released for public use, usually with the requirement that images credits be included, and that it not be used to advertise a commercial product. Here is a snip from the JPL copyright from

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/imagepolicy/

"Unless otherwise noted, images and video on JPL public web sites (public sites ending with a jpl.nasa.gov address) may be used for any purpose without prior permission, subject to the special cases noted below.

2. to use a credit line in connection with images. Unless otherwise noted in the caption information for an image, the credit line should be "Courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech."

In addition, no image may be used to explicitly or implicitly suggest endorsement by NASA, JPL or Caltech of commercial goods or services."

The E ring image is found on JPL site, so the text above seems to apply. Here for example is a more recent image:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA17172

and here are the rest:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/Cassini-Huygens

That's the best I can come up with. The burden is on whoever uses the image to find the copyright, but when I put collection together, I was convinced that all I needed were the image credits. I notice that the E-ring image is widely reproduced, and I almost never see the credits!

J.

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 20:38       ` Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chandra images seem to have a more restrictive copyright

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/image_use.html

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-12 22:53         ` Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-12 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:38:02 PM UTC, Jonathan wrote:
> Chandra images seem to have a more restrictive copyright
>
> http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/image_use.html

If I understand correctly, you have to fill out the permission request form "If you have further questions, or a special condition..."

http://chandra.harvard.edu/edu/request_perm.html

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-12 23:37 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-11-12 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interestingly, I can't find anywhere in that paper that actually says that
they chose Ada for the project, even though it's implied in several places.
They explain the process for chosing a language, but not the actual choice.
It seems that the sentence or paragraph explaining the programming language
choice is missing from 3.6. Silly.

                              Randy.

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> An extraordinary result of the Ada/HOOD combination! For the
> justification of this choice, see:
>
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997ESASP.409..133D
>
> And tell your friends  (an enemys too! ;-) )
> --
> J-P. Rosen
> Adalog
> 2 rue du Docteur Lombard, 92441 Issy-les-Moulineaux CEDEX
> Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00
> http://www.adalog.fr

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-12 23:42 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-11-12 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> An extraordinary result of the Ada/HOOD combination! For the
> justification of this choice, see:
>
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997ESASP.409..133D
>
> And tell your friends  (an enemys too! ;-) )

Thanks for the reminder; I put a note up on AdaIC.

                         Randy.

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
@ 2014-11-13 11:23   ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-13 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 12/11/2014 18:55, David Botton a écrit :
> Is there any Ada using Hood tutorial or website.

You can start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOOD_method

There is also the "HOOD book": http://www.adalog.fr/hoodbook.htm

There is also some information about HOOD on the ESA site.

For products supporting HOOD, see STOOD and CP-Hood on Ellidiss site
(http://www.ellidiss.com)

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog
Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00
http://www.adalog.fr

* Re: PR while it's hot: Rosetta/Philae is in Ada
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-14 20:45 ` Michael B.
From: Michael B. @ 2014-11-14 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

But this article mentions FORTH (on the second page)?
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/2003ESASP.532E..72B

@ 2014-11-16  8:43   ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-16  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14/11/2014 21:45, Michael B. a écrit :
> But this article mentions FORTH (on the second page)?
> http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/2003ESASP.532E..72B

Apparently, it's just for Philae's control, with a special FORTH
processor. Presumably, they wanted an interpreted language for that part
in order to dynamically change it? The paper doesn't say much.

--

@ 2014-11-17 14:50     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-11-17 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> writes:

> Le 14/11/2014 21:45, Michael B. a écrit :
>> But this article mentions FORTH (on the second page)?
>> http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/2003ESASP.532E..72B
>>
> Apparently, it's just for Philae's control, with a special FORTH
> processor. Presumably, they wanted an interpreted language for that part
> in order to dynamically change it? The paper doesn't say much.

In my experience at NASA, processors for small instruments/spacecraft
are chosen by the hardware team, who give much more consideration to
power and weight concerns than to software ("anything can be fixed in
software, right?").

--
-- Stephe