* Re: getting started
       [not found]     ` <slrn6pu3gt.1a6.davecook@rama.escnd1.sdca.home.com>
@ 1998-07-05  0:00       ` Eddy Young
From: Eddy Young @ 1998-07-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone considered wpe and xwpe?

-/ Eddy /

David M. Cook wrote:

> >Markus Kuhn wrote:
>
> >> If you use Linux, I warmly recommend GNU Emacs as an editor
> >> (which contains a decent Ada mode) and gdb as a debugger.
>
> If you'd like a more windowish GUI for Ada programming, try GRASP:
>
> http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
>
> Dave Cook

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
       [not found]     ` <dewar.899648869@merv>
@ 1998-07-05  0:00       ` Henrik Carlqvist
From: Henrik Carlqvist @ 1998-07-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:
> > I'm trying to install gnat on a Linux box running Slackware 3.1. I > > have tried to install a binary distribution of gnat which destroyed
> > the previous working gcc, so now I'm trying to install gnat from
> > source.

> You left out step one, which is to install a working binary version
> of GNAT (how else do you expect to be able to compile it!)

So I will need gnat to be able to get gnat... Could anyone please
recomend a good ftp-site where I can find a binary version which works
with Slackware 3.1?

Installing from source means patching gcc, does this mean that I will
have to replace gcc with a new one for gnat to work?

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost Alpha1@AOCI.COM tech1@AOCI.COM extractor@WWNET.NET

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-05  0:00         ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-07-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
> So I will need gnat to be able to get gnat... Could anyone please
> recomend a good ftp-site where I can find a binary version which works
> with Slackware 3.1?

There is no need to recompile GNAT on any Linux version. The binary
version on <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/> work on any Linux distribution,
however some tweeking is necessary on newer distributions such as
Red Hat 5.0 and other that have already switched to glibc2. See
<http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html> for the small things that
have to be done on glibc2 systems (creating symbolic links for
crtbegin.o etc as well as changing one runtime library signal
data structure).

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-05  0:00         ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1998-07-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Carlqvist <henrik.carlqvist@swipnet.se> writes:
> So I will need gnat to be able to get gnat... Could anyone please
> recomend a good ftp-site where I can find a binary version which works
> with Slackware 3.1?

Get gnat-3.10p binaries for linux.  Install that.  You then have all
you need to rebuild gnat-3.10p sources with gcc-2.7.2.

> Installing from source means patching gcc, does this mean that I will
> have to replace gcc with a new one for gnat to work?

Yes.  The 2.7.2 patches add some setjmp/longjmp enhancements to gcc
in order for gnat to work properly.

Alternately, you can build gnat-3.10p with egcs-1.0.3a and not have to
apply any patches whatsoever (which might be a good idea, since the
gcc-2.7.2 patches included with gnat-3.10p break the gcc optimizer
when compiling glibc-2.0.6).

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-06  0:00           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> There is no need to recompile GNAT on any Linux version. The binary
> version on <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/> work on any Linux distribution,
> however some tweeking is necessary on newer distributions such as
> Red Hat 5.0 and other that have already switched to glibc2. See
> <http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html> for the small things that
> have to be done on glibc2 systems (creating symbolic links for
> crtbegin.o etc as well as changing one runtime library signal
> data structure).

There may be some extra hoops to go through if you want C++ as well, I
don't think ACT include cc1plus & the matching includes/libs
.. certainly not in Linux 3.10p.

* Re: getting started
       [not found]     ` <dewar.899586559@merv>
@ 1998-07-06  0:00       ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 1998-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Best Regards
John McCabe

Not necessarily my company or service providers opinions.

From: John McCabe @ 1998-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>As I am sure others will point out, of course Ada mode for GNU Emacs
>provides complete color syntax highlighting, as well as many other
>features.

Also, the source for Rolf Ebert / Markus Heritsch ada-mode makes many
references to XEmacs. Is this code common?

--

@ 1998-07-06  0:00           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35A00842.61153584@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
>> So I will need gnat to be able to get gnat... Could anyone please
>> recomend a good ftp-site where I can find a binary version which works
>> with Slackware 3.1?
>
> There is no need to recompile GNAT on any Linux version. The binary
> version on <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/> work on any Linux distribution,

The only binary versions I saw there just now are for I386 and I486.

Nothing for Alpha, Sun. etc.

Am I misunderstanding the NYU naming convention, or should the quoted
statement be qualified as only applying to Intel ?

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-06  0:00             ` Scott Ingram
From: Scott Ingram @ 1998-07-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <35A00842.61153584@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > There is no need to recompile GNAT on any Linux version. The binary
> > version on <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/> work on any Linux distribution,
>
> The only binary versions I saw there just now are for I386 and I486.
>
> Nothing for Alpha, Sun. etc.
>
> Am I misunderstanding the NYU naming convention, or should the quoted
> statement be qualified as only applying to Intel ?
>
> Larry Kilgallen

No there are indeed binaries for Alpha (OSF 3.2 and 4.0) and Sun,
Solaris and
Irix there.  Depending on your ftp client, it may be easier to pick out
the
binaries with a command like "ls *.bin.tar.gz," which shows me only the
binaries.

--
Scott Ingram
Sonar Processing and Analysis Laboratory

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-07  0:00               ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Ingram <scott@silver.jhuapl.edu> writes:

> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> >
> > In article <35A00842.61153584@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > > There is no need to recompile GNAT on any Linux version. The binary
> > > version on <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/> work on any Linux distribution,
> >
> > The only binary versions I saw there just now are for I386 and I486.
> >
> > Nothing for Alpha, Sun. etc.
> >
> > Am I misunderstanding the NYU naming convention, or should the quoted
> > statement be qualified as only applying to Intel ?
> >
> > Larry Kilgallen
>
> No there are indeed binaries for Alpha (OSF 3.2 and 4.0) and Sun,
> Solaris and Irix there.  Depending on your ftp client, it may be
> easier to pick out the binaries with a command like "ls
> *.bin.tar.gz," which shows me only the binaries.

Linux is available on Alpha, SPARC ant other platforms, but GNAT is
not available off-the-shelf for Linux on those other platforms.

* Re: Installing gnat in Linux
@ 1998-07-07  0:00           ` Henrik Carlqvist
From: Henrik Carlqvist @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald Cole wrote:

> Get gnat-3.10p binaries for linux.  Install that.  You then have all
> you need to rebuild gnat-3.10p sources with gcc-2.7.2.

If I get a working binary version, is there be any reason to recompile
it from source?

> > Installing from source means patching gcc, does this mean that I
> > will have to replace gcc with a new one for gnat to work?
>
> Yes.  The 2.7.2 patches add some setjmp/longjmp enhancements to gcc
> in order for gnat to work properly.

Are these patches included in the binary version of gnat or will I have
to install them manually? If so, where will I get them?

Thanks for your reply!

regards Henrik
--

@ 1998-07-07  0:00             ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Carlqvist <henrik.carlqvist@swipnet.se> writes:
> Ronald Cole wrote:
> If I get a working binary version, is there be any reason to recompile
> it from source?

Depends on whether you are ok or not with losing g++ or g77 support in
the gcc executable.

> Are these patches included in the binary version of gnat or will I have
> to install them manually? If so, where will I get them?

They are source patches and, of course, the gnat binaries were compiled
with them (wouldn't work without them).

--

       [not found]   ` <359E510F.636ACCA2@swipnet.se>
@ 1998-07-26  0:00     ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-07-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Carlqvist <henrik.carlqvist@swipnet.se> writes:

> GNU Emacs is nice, but for programming I think that xemacs is even
> better. It gives color syntax higlightning which makes the code easier
> to read and easier to find errors about non-matching paranteses or "".

Isn't that just font-lock?  My version of emacs (20.2.1) does color
syntax hightlighting already.