* www.linuxbase.org/spec and C++
@ 2003-09-02  8:41 Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-09-02  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI:

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB.txt

excerpt:

C++ Language

Because of the immaturity of the C++ ABI (for name mangling, exception
handling, and other such issues), we do not standardize any libraries for C++
in this version of the Linux Standard Base. [1]

In a future version of this specification, name mangling rules shall be
specified so that C++ symbols can be mapped into symbol names in the object
file.

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: www.linuxbase.org/spec and C++
@ 2003-09-02  8:46 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-09-02  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> FYI:
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB.txt
>
> excerpt:
>
> C++ Language
>
> Because of the immaturity of the C++ ABI (for name mangling, exception
> handling, and other such issues), we do not standardize any libraries for C++
> in this version of the Linux Standard Base. [1]
>
> In a future version of this specification, name mangling rules shall be
> specified so that C++ symbols can be mapped into symbol names in the object
> file.

Unfortunately, this is also true of the Ada ABI; each new version of
GNAT uses a different ABI and libgnat has a different soname.  The
problem is alleviated somewhat by the long release cycles of GNAT, but
if there were many hundreds of programs andlibraries written in Ada,
we would certainly have ABI problems.

--
Ludovic Brenta.