* Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-10 19:55 Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-10 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry about the mis understanding. The last time I asked this I got answers
relating to the graphical environment Glade variant. I am talking about the
Ada Distributed computation, annex-E
compliant implementation.
I am trying to install Glade ( the Ada Distributed computation, annex-E
compliant implementation ) on a redhat 9 box. I downgraded the compiler to
the 3.15p version, and attempted to run the configure script

As the saying goes, Script happens...

[root@mankind glade-3.15p-src]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gnuawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for adagcc... no
checking for gnatgcc... gnatgcc
checking if the Ada compiler works... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gnused... no
checking for gsed... no
checking for sed... sed
checking for gtar... gtar
checking for ar... ar
checking for rm... rm
checking for gunzip... gunzip
checking for gnatmake... gnatmake
checking for GNAT sources... ada
checking for gnatls... gnatls
checking for sed... (cached) sed
checking if the Ada compiler is recent enough... yes
checking which platform-specific variant to use... Linux
checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O...

hangs at this "checking need to emulate thread blocking I/O" statement.
I have been advised to find a kernal patch
or some such. I am not a kernal hacker nor sys admin. I just want to
experiment with the distributed aspects of Ada.

Can anyone offer a sane way to get Glade ( the Ada Distributed computation,
annex-E compliant implementation ) on redhat 9.0 to build ?

thanks
Joe Simon
WB2JQT

* Re: Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-10 20:48 ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2003-09-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Simon wrote:

> Sorry about the mis understanding. The last time I asked this I got answers
> relating to the graphical environment Glade variant. I am talking about the
> Ada Distributed computation, annex-E
> compliant implementation.
[snip attempt to install Glade]

> Can anyone offer a sane way to get Glade ( the Ada Distributed computation,
> annex-E compliant implementation ) on redhat 9.0 to build ?

Unless you are a customer, you may be out of luck until ACT releases a
3.16p version. As part of Red Hat 9, they made changes in the kernel to
use the "New Pthread" implementation. This broke a lot of old code. It
may be possible to add
  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
to your environment and try the configure script again. If that does not
work, ACT has a release of gnat 3.16 (and gnat 5.0) built for Red Hat 9,
but I believe it is only for paying customers (yet). I would expect a
public release in the next few months.

  --Mark

* Re: Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-11 13:35   ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2003-09-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Johnson wrote:

> Joe Simon wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about the mis understanding. The last time I asked this I got answers
> > relating to the graphical environment Glade variant. I am talking about the
> > Ada Distributed computation, annex-E
> > compliant implementation.
> [snip attempt to install Glade]
>
> > Can anyone offer a sane way to get Glade ( the Ada Distributed computation,
> > annex-E compliant implementation ) on redhat 9.0 to build ?
> >
> Unless you are a customer, you may be out of luck until ACT releases a
> 3.16p version. As part of Red Hat 9, they made changes in the kernel to
> use the "New Pthread" implementation. This broke a lot of old code. It
> may be possible to add
>   LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
> to your environment and try the configure script again. If that does not
> work, ACT has a release of gnat 3.16 (and gnat 5.0) built for Red Hat 9,
> but I believe it is only for paying customers (yet). I would expect a
> public release in the next few months.

The other possibility is that installing the gcc-gnat RPM's that are
part of Red Hat 9 and see if they have the fixed software. This would be
a build based off of gcc 3.2 (or 3.3 if you build from Rawhide). It
works at least well enough to compile the ada source for gcc-gnat but I
don't know if the threading works (just have not had the time to try).
  --Mark

* Re: Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-11 15:01     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-09-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com> writes:
> The other possibility is that installing the gcc-gnat RPM's that are
> part of Red Hat 9 and see if they have the fixed software. This would be
> a build based off of gcc 3.2 (or 3.3 if you build from Rawhide). It
> works at least well enough to compile the ada source for gcc-gnat but I
> don't know if the threading works (just have not had the time to try).

But then you need to port gnat-glade to this new gnat-gcc, because Red
Hat does not ship gnat-glade.  I think it is a bigger endeavour than
setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.2.5 and using 3.15p.

PS. I seem to remember that there is a patch in recent versions (CVS
head? 3.3?) of FSF GNAT to support NPTL.  I don't know whether or not
it is in Red Hat 9.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-11 19:28       ` Joe Simon
From: Joe Simon @ 2003-09-11 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message
> Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com> writes:
> > The other possibility is that installing the gcc-gnat RPM's that are
> > part of Red Hat 9 and see if they have the fixed software. This would be
> > a build based off of gcc 3.2 (or 3.3 if you build from Rawhide). It
> > works at least well enough to compile the ada source for gcc-gnat but I
> > don't know if the threading works (just have not had the time to try).
>
> But then you need to port gnat-glade to this new gnat-gcc, because Red
> Hat does not ship gnat-glade.  I think it is a bigger endeavour than
> setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.2.5 and using 3.15p.
>
> PS. I seem to remember that there is a patch in recent versions (CVS
> head? 3.3?) of FSF GNAT to support NPTL.  I don't know whether or not
> it is in Red Hat 9.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Setting the LD_ASSUME ... did not change anything.
Using the Redhat 9 installed comiler (3.2.2) results in...

"configure: error: Please get a version of GNAT no older than 3.14
(20010122)
(it looks like you only have GNAT 3.2.2 20030222 (3.2.2-4))"

So No Go.
I don't know what NPTL is. Guess i'm just SOL (s*it outta luck).

What a pain. Guess I'll never know if Ada's distrbuted model is worth using
or not.

Thanks to All who responded !
Joe, Wb2JQT

* Re: Question Report - Glade (the distributed computing annex-E gnat extentions) install problem
@ 2003-09-11 23:33         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-09-11 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Simon" <jb.simon@lmco.com> writes:

> I don't know what NPTL is. Guess i'm just SOL (s*it outta luck).

Native POSIX Thread Library.  A new implementation of threads in the
Linux kernel and in the C library (glibc), which conforms better to
the POSIX standard and scales better to thousands of threads but
unfortunately breaks quite a lot of existing code.  Currently
scheduled for release with Linux 2.6, but backported into 2.4 by Red
Hat.

> What a pain. Guess I'll never know if Ada's distrbuted model is
> worth using or not.

Debian is your friend.

--
Ludovic Brenta.