* Random access.
@ 1998-08-29  0:00 BARDIN Marc
From: BARDIN Marc @ 1998-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
- I need to use direct access file.
- It's ok to instantiate with static descriptor (i.e : package Dir_Es is new
Direct_Io (1);). But my need is a dynamic access, i should want to change
the access size dynamically to read/write exactly number of bytes i want at
location i wish.

Anticipated thanks.
Marc

Marc.Bardin@wanadoo.fr

* Re: Random access.
@ 1998-08-30  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"BARDIN Marc" <Marc.Bardin@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> - I need to use direct access file.
> - It's ok to instantiate with static descriptor (i.e : package Dir_Es is new
> Direct_Io (1);). But my need is a dynamic access, i should want to change
> the access size dynamically to read/write exactly number of bytes i want at
> location i wish.

Package Ada.Direct_IO is for homogenous collections.  You appear to need
heterogeneous collections, in which case you should look at
Ada.Streams.Stream_IO to see if it meets your needs.