* New Ada space project
@ 2005-02-22 12:28 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-02-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.aonix.com/pr_02.22.05b.html

Good to see that the ESA are still using Ada!

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-02-27 15:05 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2005-02-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Martin Dowie wrote:

"Good to see that the ESA are still using Ada!"

As with most European space projects, ESA is not actually implementing it:
contracted companies perform the development (including writing software
(which in this case is sensibly Ada)).

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-02-27 15:23   ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2005-02-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Martin Dowie wrote:
>
> "Good to see that the ESA are still using Ada!"
>
> As with most European space projects, ESA is not actually implementing
> it: contracted companies perform the development (including writing
> software (which in this case is sensibly Ada)).

And in other cases in C because "we can't find enough Ada programmers".

- Mark Lorenzen

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-02-28  9:00     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-02-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Lorenzen wrote:
>> As with most European space projects, ESA is not actually
>> implementing it: contracted companies perform the development
>> (including writing software (which in this case is sensibly Ada)).
>
> And in other cases in C because "we can't find enough Ada
> programmers".

Well there might be dozens of them available from Edinburgh and Rochester,
Kent pretty soon! :-(

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-11-09  3:01 ` Anonymous Coward
From: Anonymous Coward @ 2005-11-09  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <421b23c0$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>,
Martin Dowie wrote:
> http://www.aonix.com/pr_02.22.05b.html
>
> Good to see that the ESA are still using Ada!

Does anyone have any idea whether it would be easy for a U.S. citizen
with five years ADA experience to get a job at the ESA?  I'm thinking
along the lines of one of the Holland branches (are there others?),
but english is my only language.

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-11-09 18:32   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2005-11-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anonymous Coward wrote:
> In article <421b23c0$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>,
> Martin Dowie wrote:
>
>>http://www.aonix.com/pr_02.22.05b.html
>>
>>Good to see that the ESA are still using Ada!

Well, some people within ESA favour Ada, others not. For example,
some argue for using Java in the Galileo navigation system.

In my experience (from an earlier life up to about 2003), ESA
nowadays accepts the programming language that the prime
contractor -- usually one of the larger European space companies
such as EADS or Alcatel-Alenia -- chooses for a project. The
incidence of C seems to be increasing, for all the usual (poor)
reasons.

The last project I worked on had application SW in Ada and
low-level I/O drivers in C, "because bit manipulation would be
much harder in Ada" according to the subcontractor for the
computer HW and driver SW. The next project from the same prime
contractor was to be all in C "because this is our strategic
decision" according to the prime. I quit. (OK, I had other reasons
too.)

> Does anyone have any idea whether it would be easy for a U.S. citizen
> with five years ADA experience to get a job at the ESA?  I'm thinking
> along the lines of one of the Holland branches (are there others?),
> but english is my only language.

If you want to write spacecraft software in Ada for ESA projects,
you don't want a job with ESA, but with a European space software
company, either one of the large "prime" contractors or a smaller
subcontractor specialized in software development. ESA itself does
very little SW development, as far as I know. They define and
oversee projects but the projects are implemented by contractors.

Companies that do SW work for ESA projects exist in many if not
all of the ESA member states; I know of companies in Britain,
Ireland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, France, Spain,
Germany, Sweden, Finland, Portugal, Austria (listed in no
particular order). Pick your place. Most of these companies also
do other SW work, few are exclusively space-oriented.

I can't say if U.S. citizenship would usually be an obstacle, but
I guess this would depend on whether the company or division also
does defence or airplane work, which is more likely for the larger
companies. The small company that I worked at (Space Systems
Finland Ltd, www.ssf.fi) would not have any problem with U.S.
citizens, I believe.

For the language, all ESA project are run in English; all the
documentation etc. is in English. Of course, your colleagues may
prefer to speak their native language socially. Occasionally you
may run into national space projects that merge with or become ESA
projects, and then a knowledge of the original national language
may be very useful. In one case, I received a SW requirements
document that was originally in French, from a French space
project, and was now being translated and updated for reusing the
SW in an ESA project. At that point in time, the original
requirements were in French and the changes were in English,
sometimes mixing languages (and acronyms!) in the same sentence,
which was a bit confusing (although it meant that change markers
were not needed :-) Eventually the doc was translated completely
into English, I believe -- I was no longer involved then.

But beware that although English is a certainty, Ada is not. Your
first or next ESA project may be Ada, C, Java or who-knows-what.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: New Ada space project
@ 2005-11-09 19:28     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2005-11-09 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Holsti wrote:

> Companies that do SW work for ESA projects exist in many if not all of
> the ESA member states; I know of companies in Britain, Ireland, Belgium,
> Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Germany, Sweden,
> Finland, Portugal, Austria (listed in no particular order).

Hah, I forgot Italy. Apologies to those concerned :-)

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd