From: Andi Kleen <ak-uu@muc.de>
Subject: Re: Unix SELECT Ada binding
Date: 1999/07/22
Date: 1999-07-22T14:22:53+00:00	[thread overview]

Andy Askey <askeya@res.raytheon.com> writes:

> Has anyone created an Ada package with binding into the SELECT C library
> function that does I/O multiplexing?  The binding is straight forward
> but there are several macros (FD_SET, FD_CLR, ...) that have to be
> translated into Ada.

[...]

Near all modern Unixes have poll(2), which is probably much easier to
bind to than select [and if you have to handle older OS versions you
can always link in one of the poll-on-select C wrappers). poll does also
scale bigger for huge number of file descriptors and doesn't add arbitary
fd limits to your program.
If you really want to use select I would recommend using a small C interface
layer which uses the FD_* macros.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.