From: minyard@acm.org
Subject: Re: Pragma Volatile
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:58:52 GMT
Date: 2001-10-01T02:58:52+00:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> writes:

> Thanks again to Robert Dewar for pointing out implicit assumptions.
>
> I was actually responding to Corey Minyard's implicit assumption that a
> pointer was needed to access a memory-mapped hardware register.

Yes, I am a C programmer (the cursed language).  I am coming back to
Ada after not using it for a while, and I had forgotten you could
assign addresses that way.  I haven't gotten that far back into Norm
Cohen's book :-).  But even if I had remembered, I would have made the
same example, because part of the point was that you need to be
careful what you make volatile.  If you make the wrong thing volatile,
it doesn't help at all, and it's easy to make the mistake.  Not as
easy as in C, though.

-Corey