From: Mark Lorenzen <mark.lorenzen@ofir.dk>
Subject: Re: pragma Pathway - optimising optimizing profiling
Date: 14 Aug 2004 12:07:21 +0200
Date: 2004-08-14T12:07:21+02:00	[thread overview]

"Nick Roberts" <nick.roberts@acm.org> writes:

> Thanks to all those people who gave me their comments about deadlock
> and pragma Zero_Fill etc.
>
> I'd like to ask people's comments about another pragma I intend to
> implement in ECLAT.

[Large presentation of pragma Pathway removed]

Optimization is a job for the compiler and not the programmer. There
will of course always be special cases, where the compiler needs a
guiding hand in order to choose the correct optimization.

But profile-driven optimization is not one of those cases, when we
talk about the GNAT compiler. According to this announcement
http://gcc.gnu.org/news/profiledriven.html there is (or at least being
worked on) an infrastructure in GCC to use the output from a profiling
tool (such as the GNU profiler) and feed it back into GCC in order to
perform optimizations that will benefit the recorded profile. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

Btw.: If you want to count the number of time a functions has been
called, you can use the GNU profiler. This mimics your pragma, but
does not need code instrumentation.

> TIA, Nick Roberts

Regards,
- Mark Lorenzen