From: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP in Ada
Date: 1998/02/03
Date: 1998-02-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Holger Noseck <noseck@cci.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use the Ada-TCP/IP-Implemenation, written by Unisys Defense
> Systems in 1987, and available on the PAL-CD (PAL: Public Ada Library).
>
> - Did anyone already test this TCP/IP-Implementation - not only compile
>   it? And can he or she tell me about the experiences?
> - This TCP/IP-Implementation provides code for the levels 3 and 4 of
> the
>   ISO/OSI protocol. Does anybody have a level-2-implementation IN ADA
>   (i.e. a local network implementation), which cooperates with
> the        Unisys-TCP/IP-Implementation?
> - Even more wonderful: Is this level-2-implementation usable for
>   Windows-NT and a Cogent-Ethernet-Card?

I looked at this implementation and it is very outdated. For example
it doesn't support Van Jacobsen Congestion Avoidance which makes it
evil to moderately sized networks (its massive use could lead to
congestion collapse etc.). Also there is no fast retransmit and other
features of modern TCP/IP stacks like delayed acks. The implementation
is far from RFC1122 compliance. IMHO it needs some major work before
it is usable.

Why don't you just use the standard TCP/IP Stack supplied with NT and write
a Binding to the WinSock library?

-Andi