From: Mark Lorenzen <mark.lorenzen@ofir.dk>
Subject: Re: Named Pipes
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 00:38:04 +0200
Date: 2004-05-07T00:38:04+02:00	[thread overview]

"Paul" <pcas1986@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> Thanks for that.  I'm familiar with the OS/2 APIs for named pipes - I wrote
> a partial thin binding to them years ago.  My impression is that named pipes
> were invented, or at least introduced, by Microsoft and therefore are common
> to both OS/2 and Windows.  As I said, I was looking for something a little
> more portable.  I'll try Florist.
>
> Paul

Bill Gates didn't invent named pipes as they existed at the time he
wore diapers (well, roughly). I can't remember if they originate from
BSD or SYS V, but they are now a part of The Single UNIX
Specification.

If you want to work with UNIX named pipes, then you need the POSIX
binding (i.e. florist). If you want to work with the Windows or OS/2
ones I think you have to write a your own binding.

- Mark Lorenzen