From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Using GNU make with ObjectAda
Date: 09 Sep 2003 02:05:17 +0200
Date: 2003-09-09T02:05:17+02:00	[thread overview]

Guillaume Foliard <guifo@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Could you elaborate on this one ? I'm rather used to the development
> model of the free software world and I don't see any immediate
> advantages of performing CM tasks through a build system.

If you want to do reproducible builds, you check out from the CM
system into a fresh set of source files and rebuild the world from it.
Preferably, you do all of this automatically in a cron job and log the
results.  In Ada, the compiler performs a first set of integration
tests.  Normally, after your cron job has made the build, it goes on
to execute unit test suites, then feature tests, then system tests.
Debian uses this kind of setup to rebuild packages every night on its
build farm.

--
Ludovic Brenta.