* Need Help (Uncompressing AWEB)
@ 1996-06-25  0:00 David Hoffman
From: David Hoffman @ 1996-06-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am an engineer who programs in Ada and is interested in literate
programming. I recently tried to download the tool aweb from the
CTAN archive (I actually tried three different sites, and, yes, I
was careful to FTP in binary mode). When I tried to uncompress the
file (with gunzip), I got this error message:

>  gunzip: aweb.zip has more than one entry -- unchanged

I went to the comp.compression   FAQ, looking for information on the
meaning of this cryptic message, and all I could find was this:

> ...if gzip complains about a multi-part file, it's likely that the
> .gz .gzfile has been corrupted by gopher.

Given the popularity of Ada and literate programming among the general
population, it is conceivable that I am the first person to download
this package from CTAN. My fear is that the original copy of aweb that
went into CTAN was corrupted somehow. My hope is that either I do not
understand the above error message, and that there is a simple fix, or
that someone out there has clean, working copy of aweb that they can
send to me. Please respond via e-mail.

----------------|  David Hoffman                        |----------------
----------------|  NASA/Johnson Space Center/EG5        |----------------
----------------|  E-mail: dhoffman@gp903.jsc.nasa.gov  |----------------
----------------|  Phone: (713) 483-4796                |----------------
----------------|  Fax:   (713) 483-1329                |----------------

* Re: Need Help (Uncompressing AWEB)
@ 1996-06-26  0:00 ` Martin ELLISON
From: Martin ELLISON @ 1996-06-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hoffman

David Hoffman wrote:
> ... uncompress the
> file (with gunzip), I got this error message:
>
> >  gunzip: aweb.zip has more than one entry -- unchanged

The reason is that the file was compressed using the PC package PKZIP, which
not only compresses files but also allows multiple input files. To uncompress
it, you need PKUNZIP (and a PC). gunzip can uncompress .zip files if they
only contain one input file.
Martin Ellison                  		mailto:martin@mpce.mq.edu.au
				    		http://www-comp.mpce.mq.edu.au/~martin/
[if possible, please send any replies both to the newsgroup and direct to me
by email]

* Re: Need Help (Uncompressing AWEB)
@ 1996-06-27  0:00 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 1996-06-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31D10919.3939@mpce.mq.edu.au> Martin ELLISON <martin@mpce.mq.edu.au> writes:

   David Hoffman wrote:
   > ... uncompress the
   > file (with gunzip), I got this error message:
   >
   > >  gunzip: aweb.zip has more than one entry -- unchanged

   The reason is that the file was compressed using the PC package PKZIP, which
   not only compresses files but also allows multiple input files. To uncompress
   it, you need PKUNZIP (and a PC).

*Bing* Misinformation alert.

The file could have been compressed by pkzip, but in the unix world it
is much more probable that was compressed by Info zip. Whichever
program was used, you should be able to unzip it using info unzip,
which is available on a lot of Unix system if your sysadmin cares (it
is, for example, available on Linux).

In contrast to PKzip, info zip is freely available.
--
David Kastrup     Institut fuer Neuroinformatik, Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Email: dak@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Telephon: +49-234-700-5559